“Disappointing to Say the Least”

La Margarita Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Margarita Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 4,739 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I had our second date at La Margarita in 1983. This review is from someone that probably went to this restaurant 10 times a year for 8 years until we moved to Dallas in 1991. Almost every trip back to San Antonio we try to go to La Margarita. Hard to think we've been going there for 30 years. The fajitas were always tasty and plentiful and the margaritas have been the best. My mouth used to water when the sizzling platters of beef fajitas were brought to our table.

But the last few years unfortunately this place has been going downhill. The fajitas aren't as plentiful and the margaritas are expensive and not as good as they used to be. Over $11 for a margarita in San Antonio is just ridiculous. We were there on our usual trip to San Antonio at the end of September and like we always do, we went to "Our Restaurant". Once again for about the 5th time we said, "Why do we keep coming here? The price of the food and drinks takes away from the dinner. For the last few years it's all been for nostalgia.

It's official, one of my favorite restaurants of all time, La Margarita, has turned into a tourist trap. It took me a long time to get it through my head but I finally did. It's not the place it used to be and if it wasn't for my past history with the place I wouldn't give it a second chance. If you are in San Antonio and you have never gone to La Margarita I'd recommend it. Once. The Market is still as good as it was before. But as guy who willingly waited 2 hours on a Saturday night during the heyday for a table (more than a few times) I won't say I'll never go back, but my visits will be few and far between. I'll start saving now. Sad day.

1  Thank Rowlett9105
Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were looking for a good tex-mex place before leaving San Antonio and that we did NOT find. We were shopping at El Mercado, saw it and decided to stop in. The food was over processed and boring. The beef fajita meat on the nachos was chewy and the cheese tasted like processed cheese food. The salsa reminded me of Sam's Choice (walmart brand) chunky jarred salsa. It was cold and had very little flavor. The tamale tasted like it was from a food company and I believe there was fake cheese in the cheese enchilada. I also tried the regular taco and it was taco bell quality at best. I am a BIG tex-mex and authentic mexican cuisine connisseur (self given title) and this was one of the worst. I think people enjoy this place because of the atmosphere (has outdoor seating) and convenience. The food was out quick at lunch time on a sunday so that should tell you something. I would not eat here again if I can help it. I give it an average rating because the service was great and the homemade corn tortillas were delicious.

1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. Their fajitas are really good, and the guacamole is fresh and delicious. The service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. The mariachis are great!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went here for a late lunch. It wasn't very crowded at that time of day and I believe it was on a Thursday. We had passed by several times when it was extremely crowded.
The menu is huge and it might be hard to pick from all the choices. My husband and I each had something different and we enjoyed our meals. I cannot say it was the best Mexican food we have ever eaten, but the whole experience was a good one. We had great service and even had a visit from the chef!
The mercado area is a fun place to visit, and a fairly easy walk from the River Walk area.

1  Thank mayatime
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Food was great. It's a little noisy inside the restaurant. There was not a wait to be seated, unlike at Mi Tierra's Restaurant next door.