“Excellent food / reasonable prices”

Golden Wok Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #285 of 4,883 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I have dined at Golden Wok several times over the past six months since we arrived in San Antonio. Although we had one bad experience, it was not a recurring problem. First, the egg drop soup is very good. The side noodles are also good for mixing in. The spare ribs are prepared differently than what I am used to in a Chinese restaurant. First of all, they are called "spiced ribs" and not spare ribs, and they are prepared by pan frying or searing in a spicy rub, which makes them crispy. Different, but still pretty good. Of the main courses that I have tried so far, the Chung bo steak was the best dish I have eaten there. The meat is tender and juicy, with sauce you pour over the side of rice. My wife says and I can agree that the Basil Chicken was a good dish as well. Service has usually been good, but had one bad experience with a waitress who seemed to be inexperienced and was overwhelmed with business one evening. It seemed to take forever to get refills and the main course, even though I saw others who ordered after us get served before us. Anyway, the tip reflected the poor service. And as I said, I have not experienced that type of service again. All in all, the restaurant presents a very good meal at reasonable prices.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Having worked in the area for many years, I have probably eaten lunch here 30+ times. Love their version of fried rice or "flied lice" as a few of the english language challenged oriental servers have said . The rest of the fare is good to excellent for the many dishes I have tried. Luncheon specials are very affordable (and therefore the place can get crowded). Try the Dim Sum, but watch your total - it can add up fast. If you haven't been here in a few years, they have remodeled and the place looks great.
If you have little nippers, you may want to recount after you're inside. A lapse in attention may find your little one trying to surf in the Koi pond that has graced the entrance for many years.

1  Thank OmniEpicurean
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped in for an early dinner. We ordered chicken fried rice plus seven or eight dim sum items including har gow, sticky rice, barbecued pork buns, chinese greens. All were excellent. There were a few items unavailable from the dim sum menu, and the food service was very slow, but perhaps that was because we were dining at 6:00 pm rather than late morning/lunch time.

1  Thank Not2old2travelyet
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Popped in for lunch. Looked busy which is a good sign. Staff very friendly and efficient. Food excellent and plenty of it. Had the lunch special - lemon chicken, which included rice, egg roll and soup. Will certainly return to try something else on the menu.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

At 2 PM in the middle of the week, this place was jumping.
We had stopped in the Medical Center and were looking for some late lunch.
I knew they must be doing something right here just by the crowds of customers.
Our server was cheerful and efficient.
My BW ordered lemon chicken, one of the daily specials.
This dish comes with very tasty pork fried rice, with pieces of veggies and pork.
There was a big delicious egg roll, and a cup of tasty egg drop soup for $7.
I had the Kung Pao chicken. The meat was stir fried in a thick spicy coating.
It was all white meat and plenty of it. I had steamed rice and a big egg roll.
This is a good place for tasty Chinese food at fair prices.
Because the Golden Wok is so popular, I suggest that you arrive very early, or late.
This is one of the most popular eateries in the Medical Center during the week.