“Delicious Food in a Humble Atmosphere”

Gins Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #772 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
San Antonio
“Delicious Food in a Humble Atmosphere”
Reviewed December 10, 2009

As a San Antonio native, I have been dining at Gin's since childhood, probably over 20 years! It started out as one small restaurant (the building you enter and all the seating to the left is the original restaurant) and over the years, has expanded to include a larger dining room to the right.

Gin's is run by one family, who clearly, knows how to do it right. You don't go back to one place for twenty years for bad food. I have tried many things on the menu-and have never walked out disappointed. Of course, I have my favorites: The Orange Chicken is crispy with the right amount of sweetness (not covered in that awful jelly-like goo as so many other are). Sometimes, I crave Gin's chicken with green beans-stir fried with the perfect amount of saltiness and the green beans-always fresh and crisp. On a cold day, I go for the simple but hearty ten-treasure noodle soup. I find myself sipping the broth right out of the bowl. For lunch, I gravitate toward Kung Pao Chicken-spicy, salty and flavorful. At other Chinese restaurant's, I won't waste my calories on the fried rice, but at Gin's, I ALWAYS get the fried rice. In a nutshell, the food is what keeps people coming back for more.

If you are looking for a romantic dinner date, I wouldn't count on it. Twenty-something years of being in service has taken a beating on the place-and it shows. If at all possible, try to be sat in the smaller, more intimate (and cleaner) section of the original restaurant to the left. Service is prompt and prices remain reasonable-you can get lunch with tea and leftovers for under $6.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Authentic Chinese. To the point they often segregate non-Asians in the lower dining room dinner hours . Food's great...”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Authentic Chinese. To the point they often segregate non-Asians in the lower dining room dinner hours . Food's great though.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook