“Great but expensive”

Ruth's Chris Steak House River Walk
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steak House River Walk is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bowie Street
Description: Ruth's Chris Steak House was founded May 1965 in New Orleans by Ruth Fertel. Enjoy award-winning cuisine and gracious hospitality. Sizzling morning, noon and night, a delicious breakfast is offered 7:00AM 7 Days a Week. Enjoy an expansive Breakfast Buffet. Lunch is available daily with a full menu including a Prime Burger and sliced tenderloin sandwich. Enjoy dinner in the upscale dining room or on the patio and enjoy a range of entrees from the finest USDA prime steaks to the freshest seafood and poultry, side dishes, unforgettable desserts and an award winning wine list. Private dining rooms available for groups of 10-200.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had the pitite fillet and lobster tail. Very tasty also very expensive since everything comes al la carte.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was our first visit to Ruth's here in SA. We had wanted to visit for many years but only recently did they add lunch which is our only choice. valet parking was free. we were seated immediately. water was served and the menus delivered. our waitress (Irene) was odd from the beginning. she took our order of salads and crab cakes. I think she only 'waited' on the table that ordered bit ticket items. we did not get bread/butter while everyone around us had their within minutes. before our salads arrived I asked her for some bread and she said 'I go get it. 10 minutes later our salads arrived and still no bread. I asked on of the bus boys and he brought it. we never say irene again until she brought the bill. even the manager worked some of the tables around us but did not give us the time of day. i think Irene would be better suited at some lower class restaurant chain where you kind of expect POOR SERVICE.
First and Last visit.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Overpriced. Steak ordered medium. Came raw. Tasteless and cold. Potatoes were cold and McDonald's fries would have been better. Spinach tasteless. Service awful. Waited one hour fir dessert. Never did get coffee. Save your money and go to Texas Roadhouse instead.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I had previously eaten at a Ruths Chris Steak House in Utah and enjoyed it. Pricey, yes, but the food was great and my spouse and I had a wonderful time. Ruth's Chris SteakHouse in Downtown San Antonio is another matter all together!!!!. There were 5 in our part. The menu was a set "banquet menu" with few options. Other than the proteins the sides were very confusingly served "family style" We saw "our" waiter twice and when we did ask for clarification on this VERY confusing style of dining, we were told it would be looked in to. However, no one showed up to explain a thing. I had asked to keep my wine list as I wanted a glass of bubbly with my salad and a red with my beef. Another waitress came to me table and simply took the wine list, never bringing it back. The food was marginal at best. Most of our steaks were not cooked to the proper temps (not even close)... And for all of this trouble and confusion, we were presented with a bill for $499.57. All of this for 5 small salads, 5 small and ill repaired steaks, "family style" creamed spinach and mashed potatoes 5 pieces of cake and one glass on Sparkling wine. In a nut shell. It TOTALLY STUNK! I will NEVER go back and definitely DO NOT recommend this restaurant!!!!!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Our last trip to “San Antone”, we decided to not do the same routine we always do when there. So I flipped open OpenTable and got us a reservation at the new Ruth’s Chris on the Riverwalk for Friday night.
With anticipation, we headed out early to grab a drink at the bar solely upon viewing online that they offer a classic, a “Sazerac”. A cocktail that is more often than not, never reproduced properly.
A very friendly greeting at the door; we were escorted to a couple seats at the newly opened bar. We ordered the Sazeracs and with the knowledge of just how few bartenders (drinkslingers) actually know what a Sazerac is, I politely asked our bartender if he was familiar, he said yes, he was, very…
The bar on a early Friday night was completely empty, as was the restaurant, perhaps 20 patrons in the entire place with another 8-10 on the patio.
The bartender returned to my complete surprise with 2 glasses full some sort of iced concoction that was in no way even remotely anything close to what we ordered. Not wanting to start the night off on a bad foot, I tasted it, and it was absolutely terrible. We quickly paid and made our way to our table; where our server greeted us and was the only actual bright spot in an otherwise dismal evening of one bad misfortune after another.
Ordering wine and having our waitperson remove the botched attempt at a Sazerac, they inquired as to why I wasn’t drinking it, I explained to her that it was nothing even close, but it was ok and ordered wine. A moment later the bar manager shows up with two more, that were only a slightly better “rendition”. Not wanting to be rude, I mentioned that Sazerac’s never have ice in them. He quickly came back with, “OUR’S DO, it’s our take on it.” NOTE: then don’t advertise it as a Sazerac idiot!
Cutting to the chase, we ordered the Tuna Stack Entrée and split it as a entrée. Tuna was cooked properly, presented nicely, but just lacked something. It was good, not great. Moving along to dinner, I had the Cowboy Bone-In Ribeye (asked our server to ask the cook to pick out a “large crowned” ribeye) and my associate selected the large filet. Both med-rare. And we both like the shoestring fries, so we ordered some.
Order came out in a nice time and in Ruth’s Chris fashion, sizzling in their butter. My ribeye was good. But again, not great and not bad enough to send back. In a USDA Prime steak there should never be any instance of gristle going through a steak, mine had a rather large area of it. It did have a large crown, but lacked the deep flavor that other Ruth's Chris' impart on their steaks. My associate’s filet was almost cooked past medium on about 40% of it, only the very center was medium rare. Upon cutting into it with the manager right there, he quickly justified that it was cooked correctly. Major mistake, no pun intended. There is nothing more irritating than someone telling you that you are wrong, when you're not. He should have instantly asked to replace the steak and left it to the patron to decide. The potatoes were cold, mushy and under cooked as well.
Not quite the evening and meal we had anticipated, we left $300 lighter and the thought that the meal was "good", but with the past experiences at all the Ruth's Chris we've been to, it should have been better. Perhaps next time.