“Rip Off with a Capital R!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House River Walk

Ruth's Chris Steak House River Walk
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steak House River Walk is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Bowie Street
Description: Ruth's Chris Steak House was founded May 1965 in New Orleans by Ruth Fertel. Enjoy award-winning cuisine and gracious hospitality. Sizzling morning, noon and night, a delicious breakfast is offered 7:00AM 7 Days a Week. Enjoy an expansive Breakfast Buffet. Lunch is available daily with a full menu including a Prime Burger and sliced tenderloin sandwich. Enjoy dinner in the upscale dining room or on the patio and enjoy a range of entrees from the finest USDA prime steaks to the freshest seafood and poultry, side dishes, unforgettable desserts and an award winning wine list. Private dining rooms available for groups of 10-200.
Wallace, Idaho
“Rip Off with a Capital R!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I had previously eaten at a Ruths Chris Steak House in Utah and enjoyed it. Pricey, yes, but the food was great and my spouse and I had a wonderful time. Ruth's Chris SteakHouse in Downtown San Antonio is another matter all together!!!!. There were 5 in our part. The menu was a set "banquet menu" with few options. Other than the proteins the sides were very confusingly served "family style" We saw "our" waiter twice and when we did ask for clarification on this VERY confusing style of dining, we were told it would be looked in to. However, no one showed up to explain a thing. I had asked to keep my wine list as I wanted a glass of bubbly with my salad and a red with my beef. Another waitress came to me table and simply took the wine list, never bringing it back. The food was marginal at best. Most of our steaks were not cooked to the proper temps (not even close)... And for all of this trouble and confusion, we were presented with a bill for $499.57. All of this for 5 small salads, 5 small and ill repaired steaks, "family style" creamed spinach and mashed potatoes 5 pieces of cake and one glass on Sparkling wine. In a nut shell. It TOTALLY STUNK! I will NEVER go back and definitely DO NOT recommend this restaurant!!!!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Texas
“Not quite to Ruth's Standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Our last trip to “San Antone”, we decided to not do the same routine we always do when there. So I flipped open OpenTable and got us a reservation at the new Ruth’s Chris on the Riverwalk for Friday night.
With anticipation, we headed out early to grab a drink at the bar solely upon viewing online that they offer a classic, a “Sazerac”. A cocktail that is more often than not, never reproduced properly.
A very friendly greeting at the door; we were escorted to a couple seats at the newly opened bar. We ordered the Sazeracs and with the knowledge of just how few bartenders (drinkslingers) actually know what a Sazerac is, I politely asked our bartender if he was familiar, he said yes, he was, very…
The bar on a early Friday night was completely empty, as was the restaurant, perhaps 20 patrons in the entire place with another 8-10 on the patio.
The bartender returned to my complete surprise with 2 glasses full some sort of iced concoction that was in no way even remotely anything close to what we ordered. Not wanting to start the night off on a bad foot, I tasted it, and it was absolutely terrible. We quickly paid and made our way to our table; where our server greeted us and was the only actual bright spot in an otherwise dismal evening of one bad misfortune after another.
Ordering wine and having our waitperson remove the botched attempt at a Sazerac, they inquired as to why I wasn’t drinking it, I explained to her that it was nothing even close, but it was ok and ordered wine. A moment later the bar manager shows up with two more, that were only a slightly better “rendition”. Not wanting to be rude, I mentioned that Sazerac’s never have ice in them. He quickly came back with, “OUR’S DO, it’s our take on it.” NOTE: then don’t advertise it as a Sazerac idiot!
Cutting to the chase, we ordered the Tuna Stack Entrée and split it as a entrée. Tuna was cooked properly, presented nicely, but just lacked something. It was good, not great. Moving along to dinner, I had the Cowboy Bone-In Ribeye (asked our server to ask the cook to pick out a “large crowned” ribeye) and my associate selected the large filet. Both med-rare. And we both like the shoestring fries, so we ordered some.
Order came out in a nice time and in Ruth’s Chris fashion, sizzling in their butter. My ribeye was good. But again, not great and not bad enough to send back. In a USDA Prime steak there should never be any instance of gristle going through a steak, mine had a rather large area of it. It did have a large crown, but lacked the deep flavor that other Ruth's Chris' impart on their steaks. My associate’s filet was almost cooked past medium on about 40% of it, only the very center was medium rare. Upon cutting into it with the manager right there, he quickly justified that it was cooked correctly. Major mistake, no pun intended. There is nothing more irritating than someone telling you that you are wrong, when you're not. He should have instantly asked to replace the steak and left it to the patron to decide. The potatoes were cold, mushy and under cooked as well.
Not quite the evening and meal we had anticipated, we left $300 lighter and the thought that the meal was "good", but with the past experiences at all the Ruth's Chris we've been to, it should have been better. Perhaps next time.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old School Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was in downtown San Antonio last night with a friend prior to going to see a performance at the Majestic Theater when we decided to eat here as a special treat. I must say I have not been treated with such courtesy and warmth by ALL staff at EVERY level, in a restaurant of any class, and the food was that of the far distant past. Corn fed rib eye steak on the prix fixe complete meal was a trip back in time, waaaayyyy back. The sides were "to die for" and very generous in size so we shared and STILL had to take half of everything home with us. A wonderfully welcoming restaurant supervisor, thank you forever, kind sir, saw us approaching in the hallway using a handicap ramp which I need for using a rolling walker, and he whisked us inside to a beautiful table situated perfectly, in the mainstream of activity, but not where I felt I was in the way, as I often do in restaurants where tables are packed in. We were greeted immediately by a team of people who proceeded to make sure we had the best dining experience possible. They all helped one another throughout the meal, and we were not rushed at any point, but we were served continuously with refills and inquiries, with no feeling of intrusion. Smiling, genuinely happy looking staff, we saw no signs of staff feeling stressed, rushed or burdened in any way. They made friendly conversation with us, I'm naturally outgoing and chatty, and made us feel welcome in a way that had nothing to do with "it's just part of the job" and I never felt as if any staff were working for a generous tip, not ever. Initially I had felt as if I might be underdressed for Ruth's Chris until I got inside and saw people in all styles, from their very casual work clothing to a couple of folks in beautiful gowns and suits. Everyone was treated with the same degree of attention and courtesy, however. I had the feeling that all of them genuinely liked their jobs. This might be the best dining experience I have ever had, and that's in 6 1/2 decades. These people made it a night to remember, definitely. I don't eat at expensive restaurants, for the most part, but this was worth the special treat to me and it wasn't a meal, it was an experience, from beginning to end.

• Visited October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome bar ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Ask for Ace. Friendly but proper and makes great drinks!!!! The staff delivered great food and was spot on. I'm a hard critic eating and many Michelin 1+ stars in NYC, Paris , Dubai and Tokyo.

Texas
“Not Worth the Money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had gone for lunch during attending a convention in San Antonio. First time going to Ruth Chris's. When going to a place of this caliber you expect excellent food and above all exceptional service, both were not delivered. I sat at the bar and the bartender completely forgot my drink order. Plus the prefix lunch chicken was not tasty at all.

• Visited October 2013