“VERY GOOD FOOD”

Los Barrios Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 4,784 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2008

My wife and I had a very good dinner and the service was good even though the place was jumping. The only drawback was we didn't have a car and had to take a taxi to and from downtown. It cost about $20 each way plus tip. The puff taco's everyone talks about will be soggy if not served right away and I think with all that was going on it would have been impossible. We still enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank RHP4920

Reviewed May 27, 2008

This restaurant had great queso, but just okay food. I got the lady's special and was majorly disappointed. I expect really great Tex-Mex in San Antonio, and this was a waste of a meal! I was just not impressed at all, and will not be going back in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were referred to this restaurant by a bartender at the Mengor Hotel. We wanted something authentic and away from the Riverwalk area. We were not disappointed. It was a short taxi ride out of the city, but worth it. The food was fresh and fabulous. It was prepared to perfection. Everything was great. The two sauces at the table were awesome and the red corn chips were yummy. We had some food we don't normally have in California, which was a nice treat. The puff tacos were incredible and the barbacoa as well. The mole sauce was to die for. The place was very casual and comfortable and the service was fabulous. Our waiter just couldn't do enough for us and no matter how busy he was, he was pleasant and never forgot even the simplest thing we asked for. Our dinner and several drinks totaled about $38.00, wow! Oh, and we had desert of sopas with honey and empenadas with fruit, ooh la la were they good. You must try it and you won't be sorry! Enjoy

2  Thank 25thannivCalifornia
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We went to San Antonio to do the whole Presido tour and in our hotel room, and when we found out that Bobby Flay had been to Los Barrios for a puffy taco throwdown, we knew we had to check it out. This is some of the best Mexican food that we've ever eaten. The puffy tacos were awesome. One bite and you know why Bobby lost! I recommend it even though it is kinda tough to find if you're not familiar with the S.A. area but well worth the trip!

2  Thank golfchic_18
Reviewed January 25, 2008

My wife and I got away from the River Walk scene and had an excellent dinner.
Sometimes a restaurant that has been written up this much, falls down or is resting on its laurels. Not so here. Brother Lou is still walking around greeting his guests.
The steak was perfiectly done and my wife loved her favorite tomatillo slasa.
We knew it would be good when we walked in and there were 6 San Antonio police officers eating dinner. Let's face it visitors - they know where the good food is.

3  Thank chenamoose