“Italian Perfection . . .”

Aldo's Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Aldo's Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 4,629 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Cross street: Wurzbach
San Antonio, Texas
“Italian Perfection . . .”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was taking a friend out to lunch for her birthday - I wanted some place special - but we had to be timely. Aldo's is right by her work. I had not been there before - but had heard good things about it. Once you actually get to the building - it is very quaint - originally a house I suppose that has been added on to. Tucked away in the oak trees. You walk in and are greeted right away. If they can seat you as you enter - fine - if not they have some very comfortable conversation seating for you as you wait. We were seated in a spacious back room that sits up in the trees a bit - so the scenery was very pleasant for the hustle and bustle of the medical district. Very clean, comfortable, nicely set tables with linen cloths and sparkling plates. The servers were unobtrusive but frequenting the table to check on us. The food was outstanding. Their bread is interesting - very light and toasted on the edges. The type of bread you love to pull apart to dip in the olive oil. Our salads were fresh and zesty. our entrees superb. I tend to try egg plant at every Italian restaurant I try. This egg plant was perfection! Light layers of egg plant - but not over cooked. And the cheese was wonderful!!! I can't believe I have lived here 20 years and have not tried Aldo's before now! I will be back soon!

• Visited July 2012

San Antonio
“Pleasant experience, food hit and miss”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I felt a little under dressed when my wife and I entered the converted elegant old home, having just arrived from Frankfurt on a long flight. The host didn't blink an eye, however, and showed us to our table like we were special guests. The waiter was very attentive but not annoying, and the service throughout was very good.

I ordered the veal steak with mushroom sauce and my wife had salad with strip chicken. The steak, though cooked to medium, was a bit chewy, but flavorful and complemented well by the tangy cream sauce. The side of spaghetti with marinara sauce was adequate but not exciting. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the salad. We both really liked the Fume wine we ordered, but were lucky since we got no help with suggestions from the waiter, who obviously knew less about the wine list than we did. The waiter also forgot our appetizer of cantaloupe and parma ham, which he graciously deducted from the bill and brought with the main course. The ham was very tasty but the melon was not yet ripe, and if you know the dish you'll understand the importance of sweet melon to the flavor profile. Had I paid for it, I would have returned it to the kitchen.

For $100 a meal for two (and the bottle of wine was half off that night), I expected a little better. Overall the experience was pleasant (especially with the excellent pianist entertaining us), but a little underwhelming, especially given the price.

• Visited June 2012
Texas
“just nothing but the best Excellent!!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Aldo's is consistently excellent, great ambiance, great food and wine

1 Thank billsbaitshop
San Antonio, Texas
“Special Night out”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

great food, reasonable prices in a romantic setting

Austin, Texas
“Very good dinner in a great atmosphere”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

This restaurant is located in a nice and relafively quiet neighborhood. We intended to dine at another restaurant but we were drawn to Aldos's by its elegant and classy look, and we were not disappointed.
We picked sautéed jumbo shrimps with cream sauce over angel hair pasta (substituted for fettuccine Alfredo), salmon salad, and tagliarni, with escargots for appetizer. To our pleasant surprise, compilemtary salad were also served. All these dishes were delicious, although not really different in taste than the likewises served at most other good Italian places.
The waiters were very polite and nice, as was other staff. The price tags are in the low upper end of Italian restaurants, but it's worth the money for its overall experience. We recommended it, and we will come back.

• Visited January 2012