“Delightful Anomoly”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
San Antonio, TX
“Delightful Anomoly”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

So ...my friend and I were hungry for Mediterranean or Chinese ...we live in San Antonio where Mexican food reigns supreme. We ended up on Austin Highway at Tong's Thai which is a mixture of Thai and Chinese with a bit of Japanese (sushi and Saki) combined.

What a pleasant surprise! I don't have anything negative to report besides having to choose from an enticing and varied menu selection. We had two appetizers ...chicken satay served with both a peanut sauce and a cucumber-onion mixture ...and cream-cheese-filled fried rice paper wraps that looked like little egg rolls but tasted like rangoon served with a plum dipping sauce.

I ordered a spicy Thai chicken with veggies and wide rice noodle dish that was very spicy ...which I love (you can order it non-spicy). Large portion which I still have half of in the fridge. My friend ordered a non-spicy chicken dish with less veggies and really enjoyed it.

Service was EXCELLENT (our waitress helped me decipher some of the Thai choices on the menu) ...food was reasonably priced for the portion size and quality. The restaurant had some ambiance and was quite comfortable.

I'm looking forward to introducing my husband to this unique cuisine experience in San Antone!

• Visited May 2013

“Best Thai? Seriously SA...”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had kind of high hopes for the Pad Thai here after a friend told me it was the best in San Antonio. I will give it to them that the establishment has a lot of character and a unique atmosphere. We ordered the fried spring rolls and chicken Pad Thai. The spring rolls were okay. The first thing I noticed about the Pad Thai was the smell was kind of funky. The taste was not good at all. The noodles tasted like caramel coated candy peanuts. The chicken was greasy and had a very cheap texture. If this is the best Pad Thai in San Antonio I will not eat Pad Thai in San Antonio again.

• Visited April 2013
LA
“we went there for lunch”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

for starters we were brought a wonderful potato soup - delicious - a bit sweet -which at first put me off, but the flavors started to meld and the soup had an addictingly wonderful delicate flavor, blending with the potatoes and onion. Wonderful start to an amazing culinary experience. The appitizers of Spring Rolls were nothing that we had ever experienced - very dense and savory.
We (four of us) had different main entrees - the sesame chicken was voted the least interesting.
The others were excellent with the top one being the "SPICE". Not too spicy -- just amazing
flavors. The second runner-up was the Pad Thai - with Chicken in a red curry sauce. Again the
sauce was AMAZING! We will return. (We live in Los Angeles, and have a business interest in
San Antonio). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Beautiful ambience. On Austin Hwy.

• Visited April 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Thai choices... interesting sushi!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Pad Se-Ew and Pad Khi Mao is amazing. I would also recommend any of the appetizers that they offer, especially the Sa-Tay and Ban Xeo.

If you're a sushi snob, I would steer clear of their Sushi menu. They use jasmine rice which creates a very interesting and not so standard flavor to your raw fish. I tried multiple times to give it a chance but can't really recommend it.

It seems odd to me that they cater to Thai, Chinese and Japanense offerings. We really need to teach society the difference between the Asian food cultures!

Visited December 2012
“Best Thai in Town”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Tong's has a pleasant Southeast Asian atmosphere, a broad selection of Thai and Chinese dishes and a polite knowledgeable staff to complement your evening.

I've been there several times and every selection has been delicious. Tonight's selection was Chinese sausage fried rice and boy did it is spot! The portions were generous and flavorful, The prices are a little bit more than other places, but well worth it.

It's a nice place for lunch or dinner with friends, a business outing, or a romantic evening. It's on my San Antonio recommended list.