“Not so great....”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Far North Central
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Meson before and enjoyed it. Our last trip was very disappointing. The service was terrible, the wait staff seemed very disgruntled. The food was not good. My husband had the salmon and it was way over cooked. My daughter ordered the fruit plate which looked pretty pathetic and not fresh at all. It was a bad experience and we won't be going back.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had a groupon for Meson and were quite excited about having dinner. When we arrived we noticed that the was no host. One of the servers finally came out to seat us.
It was a very nice looking small space with white table cloths and quiet classy ambiance.

We started off with the ceasar salad for two, made table side and the only good thing we had.

My wife ordered the chicken piccata and I opted for the grilled trout. Both were tasteless and extremely overpriced. We eat at high end restaurants all over the country and were taken aback at how bad the food was.

It's the first time in my life I had to go home and eat right after dinner to taste something that actually had flavor. Meson is hands down the absolute most outrageously bad food for the price we have ever had.

How this place stays in business is incredible to me.

Stay away, go to Kirby's(right down the street) , it's actually cheaper and the food's prepared by a chef with taste buds!

1  Thank sanantini
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I had a Friday night "date night" dinner here. Had not been to Meson since they changed location. This is an improvement over the previous. Very nicely decorated, elegant, even. Wait staff was prompt and knowledgeable, making some nice suggestions. The food was quite good, nice presentation, too. The owner (or manager, not sure) was friendly and had no trouble keeping all the customers happy, including a large party, which is not always an easy task.

1  Thank bcbsat
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have had the pleasure of eating at this restaurant on several occasions. They have excellent dishes and the service if great. Recommend it for a special occasion.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was couples night for us. We started the evening with wine, followed with escargot, which were huge, drenched in olive oil and crushed garlic. Our waitress kept bringing us baskets of freshly baked warm bread rolls and cold butter. The owner came by to introduce himself to us and warmly greeted each one of us. We kindly reciprocated the gesture. I felt that this was nice of him to take the time to greet each table as well as ours. We then watched the owner prepare a caesar salad table side as he explained all of the ingredients that went into making the salad. He seemed as if he truly enjoyed making the salad for us. Everyone commented that this was the best Caesar salad we had ever eaten. My sister had tears in her eyes when she realized she would be taking her last bite. I must mention that the wait staff buzzed around quietly making sure that we all had everything we needed. I felt like a V.I.P. Our food came out hot and everyone commented after their first bite how good their food tasted. I ordered the grilled chicken breast and it was huge, had perfect grill marks, smelled and tasted delicious. My husband and brother-in-law ordered the trout and they were very impressed with how perfectly they were grilled and tasted. My sister order the pasta carbonara and said it was delicious. We each had a small bite of hers and it was very tasty. My meal came with green and white fettucine and steamed vegetables which were delicious as well. We finished up the meal with the bananas flambeau over vanilla icecream. Again, the owner prepared it table side and explained everything that went into it. Once he placed it on our table, it was gone within minutes if not seconds. It was very delicious. Mostly, we enjoyed the attention the staff paid to us, we appreciated the chefs who prepared our meals and to the owner, who took the time to personally interact with us. This was a very special evening and I only wish everyone could experience a joyful and blessed meal as we all did.

I also hope that his future customers are kind and courteous to him and his staff and take the time to appreciate all of their efforts. There are many nationalities represented in his staff and we appreciated the diversity of his staff. They served us with warm attentive smiles.

We could only talk about returning and trying more items on the menu. We also received a 20% off card to use on a future visit. We plan on returning here at least once a month just to feel special and I encourage others to do the same.

If you need to watch the budget yet want to experience fine dining, the lunch menu seems to be quite affordable.