“Large portions, fun atmosphere, casual dining on the Riverwalk.”

County Line Barbeque- River Walk
Ranked #87 of 4,648 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cedar Knolls, New Jersey
“Large portions, fun atmosphere, casual dining on the Riverwalk.”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I wanted to try BBQ while in Texas. We had researched 2 BBQ restaurants, but after a late day at a water park, they were both closed, so we walked from our hotel to the County Line. We were seated immediately. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is very casual- writing is allowed on the booths and brick walls. We both ordered the sampler platter which included turkey, sausage, beef ribs, pork ribs, and beef brisket. I ordered a side salad and garlic mashed potatoes, my wife had a salad and Texas caviar (black eyed peas). For an extra cost you can order homemade bread, which I highly recommend. You can choose white or wheat. Our waitress suggested white and we went with that. It was fantastic! The salads were very large. The mashed potatoes were very tasty. I enjoyed the brisket and the sausage. The turkey was OK. I do not usually eat ribs, so they were just OK for me. My wife really enjoyed the sausage. There was no room for dessert. We both could have had another meal out of what was left. I am no BBQ expert, but I'm sure you could find better quality food elsewhere. However, for a place on the Riverwalk, the food is good, the portions are very large for the price, and a family with children would definitely feel at home here. I was surprised how early they closed the bar though. I saw a previous reviewer complain about small portions, and I wonder what he or she ordered, because that was one thing that didn't seem to be a problem.

• Korean first
San Antonio, TX
“Legitimately wonderful BBQ on the beautiful River Walk”
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I have been to the County Line restaurant on the River Walk three times and never been disappointed. The atmosphere is wonderful. I go at early lunch time (11:30 am) on Sundays and am able to choose my own table on the river. There is nothing as relaxing as sitting under the huge canopy of these beautiful old trees next to the river, sinking my teeth into beefy ribs.

The portions are gargantuan. I have an appetite and I can't finish a platter. Their pork and beef ribs are juicy, and slathered (not overly) in bbq sauce with just enough of a spicy kick. The kids meals have more choices than the usual, and my 5 year old daughter loves the brisket (which is less greasy than in other restaurants), sausage, and ribs.

The fries are perfect, crispy. Everyone dug the fries.

I have had wonderful, fast service on all three trips. A meat platter is around $17, and the kid's meal was around $7. Sweet tea was perfect, very thirst-quenching, large, and not overly sweet. My husband has high standards and loved this place.

chicago,il
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lousy”
Reviewed July 22, 2009

After reading abput this place online before I arrived in SA, I was so looking forward to some good Barbeque. It was a total disappointment! Small portions, dry, dry lackluster food.

Texas
“Yummy BBQ on the Riverwalk!”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

After being so confused as to what resturant to eat at on the Riverwalk, we decided to go with a familiar name. We arrived a 9pm on a busy Saturday night and only had to wait 10mins for a seat. We were seated right next to the water in a rocky table squeezed in. It took our waiter a good 10 mins before he could squeeze himself around the other tables to ours to get our drink orders. Despite the wait, our server was really nice, friendly, and joked with us. He noticed our table rocking and immediatly fixed it for us. Our food came out hot and fast. We had the half roasted chicken, and the grilled chicken dinner. Potato salad had a lot of horseradish in it, which I loved, husband didn't. Fries were great and our drinks were fantastic. I had a staw. margarita and it was better than Rita's! Overall, we enjoyed our food, watching people walk by, listening to the tour boats going by, and our overall time. Of course this place is a bit pricy, but all resturants on the walk are!

Dallas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tasting and cute atmosphere!”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Talk about finger lickin good! Everytime we passed this place, the aroma of their cooking would catch our attention. We are so glad we got lured in! Big portions, big drinks, good service, and great flavor! Pretty good price too. I like that there was a choice to dine inside or outside. AC works great! lol