“Good food, yes, but THE BEST???”
Review of Taco Taco Cafe

Taco Taco Cafe
Ranked #1,771 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Central
San Antonio, Texas
“Good food, yes, but THE BEST???”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went after seeing on DDD and hearing about it from Bon Appetit (Best tacos in America). Small place, nothing fancy. Food and service were good, but I guess I was expecting more from what I heard. There are hundreds of mexican restaurants in SA, so the bar is high. Would I go back? Yes. But there are plenty of places closer to me that are as good, or better.

Visited October 2012

San Antonio, Texas
“I want to love this place... but I can't lie.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It's difficult for me to give a negative review, but it is hard to find anything positive to review about Taco Taco. Friends insist on the authenticity and remarkable tacos that they have on the menu but I have truly never been impressed. I have ordered many tacos from the menu to try them out and aside from their puffy taco, I can't find anything spectacular about them.

Biggest complaint? What can only be described as 'shredded velveeta' all over my bean and cheese taco. Sorry guys. Totally gross.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Heidihoe85
Westminster, California
“Thanks Guy!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Thanks again to Guy Fieri for this recommendation. It's a little taco stand in a San Antonio neighborhood that tourists wouldn't otherwise find. We went for the puffy taco which lived up to the hype. The house made tortillas and refried beans were outbof this world (and I don't even like refried beans!).

Visited December 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Pretty Pretty Good Good, But But Crowded Crowded”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After reading all the hype from Texas Monthly, Express-News, Rolling Stone (just kidding), we had to eventually try this gastronomic taj mahal of tacos. First thing that hits you is that this is another tex-mex dive - a small little unobtrusive house turned restaurant. Second thing that hits you is that there is no parking except for a about 3 spaces in front and maybe another 10 in back. So when this place gets crowded, expect to drive around a bit or park down a side street and walk a ways.

Once we finally made it through the line to the door and inside, we found that there is no waiting area to speak of. You mill around the fringes trying not to get hit by scurrying waitresses and trays full of breakfast tacos. When we finally got a table, we were stuffed into a small table near a window. Even then it seems we were still dodging scurrying waitresses and their errant trays.

When we did receive our taco order, they were served piping hot and reasonably filled. The tortillas were homemade and fluffy. Best in the world, state, town, whatever? . . . Not really. Good? . . Yes. Best ever? . . . No.

I wasn't exactly disappointed as these were breakfast tacos done right. I was, however, looking for something that made them terrifically outstanding and did not. Would definitely go there again when I feel the breakfast taco urge and I have a hankering to play dodge ball.

• Visited September 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
“Small local place”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had lunch here one day on a recent trip to SA. Its small and in a neighborhood, off the beaten path. Its not the kind of place tourists would find without knowing its there.

We had a short wait before being seated. Once seated, service was prompt, but not particularly friendly. It was Christmas Eve and I suspect the employees were counting the minutes until they could go home. The food was very good and reasonably priced. It was our first experience with puffy tacos.

We'd like check this place out again when in SA.

• Visited December 2012