“Fell short”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: North Central
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We arrived at 1:30, closing time is at 2:00 pm. The waitress was curt. They were out of chips and shredded chicken. The tortillas were large and fresh but the presentation was uninspired. We were disappointed with the food especially since it has great notoriety.

1  Thank Sheldon K

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My family and I have been coming here for the last 15 years on and off. They are at a point where their success is starting to affect their product and service. A lot of peope are showing up and they have same amount of staff and have not expanded!We waited outside for 45 minutes on Sunday morning, in the past the avg. wait was 15-20 minutes. There were tables available but we were told that their kitchen was backed up with to go orders and could not handle new tables for a while. I have never heard of this!

About their food, first of all their table salsa is not fresh and tasted almost rotten! When i asked for fresh salsa the server pointed to the table salsa and i said i wanted fresh and her facial expression was one of ay yi yi.Their flour tortillas are still good. The chilaquilles plate is still good. My wife had the the machacado plate with hardly any machacado but yet they charge a premium. I think this place has seen their better days so don't expect great things!

1  Thank benny311
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Come On! Breakfast for one =$12 is too much in a town filled to bursting with great Mexican food spots. Huevos Rancheros, a very small side of carne guisada and some pico de gallo along with a coffee. A buck for pico?? It's free everywhere I go. 2 bucks for a couple of chunks of guisada?? And the service is definitely average.
This place has become too proud of themselves and they shouldn't be. The prices tell the story. They are getting all jacked up about going "National" with the franchise business. They are good, not spectacular.

1  Thank Mulepusher
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I gave in and tried this place on a Thursday since I was in the area and the breakfast taco "window" was slowly closing on me since it was after 10 AM. I was shocked to see how SMALL the place is-- you can't move at all within the restaurant without bumping into staff, other patrons, or furniture. There are too many tables packed into a very, very small dining room. I went to the counter to order tacos to go and waited a good 4-5 minutes before anyone asked if I needed anything--they just look right past you like you are invisible. They are perfectly willing to go about their business and allow people to stand there, packed in like sardines, and make them wait the maximum amount of time. There were plenty of workers-- just no one interested in helping anyone. The area where you wait for "to go" orders is the same small 4x4 area where people are waiting to be seated and people are waiting to pay, as well as staff walking through to the kitchen. So I placed my order and forced my body up into a corner next to the cooler to wait. I ordered five simple tacos. I waited close to 20 minutes. Yep, 20 minutes for five tacos. Did I mention the man who took my order was neither friendly nor cheerful? He never even made eye contact. They brought my order to the counter (I could see my number on the bag) where it sat for at least five more minutes before they bothered to call me up. Then, I had to wade through at least eight other people who were also packed in shoulder to shoulder in line to PLACE an order. The same man handed me my order and still did not make eye contact or thank me. I felt like they were just trying to get people out as soon as possible and did not care if they ever came back. The tacos are decent (the best part is the tortilla) but this way of doing business is atrocious. If you are so famous and popular EXPAND your location! Have a takeout window to the outside maybe. It seems counterintuitive to do so much to become "famous" only to drop the ball when the customer steps through the door. I won't be going back. There are much better places with friendly staff and better atmosphere.

1  Thank Photoj7
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant was highly recommended to us by a friend. Food barely ok but what the problem is is the rudeness of the service staff and especially the owner, Helen and her son. We felt discriminated against, we are Hispanic. We tried to talk with the owner about it, she began yelling at us and , get this, told us to Shoo. She said it was her restaurant and she can talk anyway she wants. I give this restaurant zero stars and will never return. Beware anyone who enters!

2  Thank beedunc