“Great Texas BBQ”

Neighborhood: Northwest Side
San Diego, California
“Great Texas BBQ”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

hole in the wall place filled with a great sampling of TX Barbeque! Great stop after a long day at Sea World.

Dallas, Texas
1,726 restaurant reviews
“Leon Springs Rudy's Country Store & Bar B Q”
Reviewed July 5, 2008

This is an old store that has somehow survived numerous floods. Look for the water level marks in the store. The Bar B Q is wood smoked bar b q and is really very good. The ribs are fantastic as is the brisket, chicken and sausage. Order by the pound. Your food will be served on a large piece of butcher paper alogn with several slices of bread. We ordered the creamed corn and slaw. We have never had a bad meal at this place. Service is very good. Drinks are either from the fountain or bottled. Seating is whereever you want at picnic table. There will be a giant bottle of bar b q sause on the table for your use.We always buy an extra bottle to take home. The kids can have ice cream from the ice cream counter. This is a good food and good fun restaurant.

Haines City, Florida
“Best Brisket Around!”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Like Brisket? Hate Brisket? Guaranteed to love it here. You know, sometimes brisket is a bit chewy, sometimes not tasty, sometimes hit-and-miss. NOT HERE! Perfect, period. OK, they also do chicken (above average) and ribs (tasty, but not as tender as I'd like) but if you're in Texas, and you want REAL Texas brisket, here's where to go.
By the way, their creamed corn is made fresh, not canned, and it is really good, and I really don't care for creamed corn...

2 Thank John H
Fresno
“Rudy's is Great”
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Great outdoor venue in Austin.....the 'moist' brisket was delightful. The outdoor dining on the grassy knoll was charming. Very 'no nonsense' way to enjoy food. Will return on our next trip to Austin.

Plano, TX
“A Must Do for Those Wanting a Complete TX/SA Experience”
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I heard of this place for years as my husband would do reserve duty nearby back in the late 80's. Finally we had our own vacation to SA and hubby drove me out there, and I have now been there twice. I wouldn't think of going to SA without a stop at Rudy's! This place should be on the short list of TO DO activities for anyone visiting San Antonio. It's worth renting a car and GPS for, and I would not waste my time at any of the other newer Rudy's locations which are more standard restaurants and will not give you the same experience of the original gas station. The original restaurant is a sort of add-on wood frame structure attached to the store. You get in line, pick your bottled drink out of an iced trough. After a few minutes slowly moving through the line with other smart eaters in the know (and most are not tourists), you will pick your sides, all of which are homemade on location, and they will put them in paper containers on a large plastic tray lined with butcher paper. Next you will tell them by weight how much of whatever meat your choose, which is layed directly on the butcher paper. You will pay for the meat by weight and the sides by size. They will slice it right in front of your and you will see the large brick smokers behind the counter. As an example, my husband got 3 sides, plus a peach cobbler to share and each picked some meat to share, 1/2 lb. of sliced brisket, 1/4 turkey and 1/4 sausage (I think). Thinking we would have leftovers, we ploughed in only to shame ourselves by leaving very little. We consider part of the experience to sit at a pic-nic table with fellow BBQ worshippers, a little sweat dripping to add to the effect! O.k., we're nuts, but if you don't experience a little hot air while in Texas you are definitely missing part of what it means to be a Texan! The unique experience would almost be worth it alone, but I want to assure you that this will probably be some of the best barbeque you will ever eat ... anywhere! I've eaten BBQ in Memphis, love me some good Carolina barbecue and have eaten lot''s of barbecue around Texas. Rudy's has become my gold standard.

2 Thank Mendic