“Bountiful Brunch”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was my second trip to the Magnolia Pancake Haus in San Antonio ...extreme deliciousity! We heard about this place while watching an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives where they showcased their homemade corned beef hash and their apfel Pfannekuchen.

Our first time there, we arrived after a morning run @ about 10 am on a Saturday and the place was packed! We had a short wait, but it was well worth it! My husband ordered the corned bef hash with eggs and I ordered the apfel Pfannekuchen (kind of a large, thin pancake with apples cooked in the center). They were both amazing, though way too much food for the two of us. The apfel Pfannekuchen was very sweet and could be ordered as a dessert and shared four ways.

Today we arrived @ about 12:45 on a Tuesday (they close at 2). The place was relatively full but we were seated immediately. The service was outstanding (you won't have to wait for your coffee cup to stay filled). My husband stuck with the corned beef hash while I opted for the Magnolia Breakfast with Canadian bacon and pancakes. Yum! The Canadian bacon was lightly smoked and lean ...not too salty. Their pancakes are light and extremely flavorable. They serve their homemade syrup warm.

And ....the price for the quality meal and service is remarkable! Love this place!

There are newer reviews for Magnolia Pancake Haus

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stopped by the Magnolia Pancake Haus with the family for Sunday brunch to find quite a large crowd waiting. The hostess informed me that the wait was an hour and a half. We had the day free with no urgent places to be so we decided to wait hoping that the wait would not be as long as indicated. The restaurant's wait list system allows you to give them your cell number and they will text you when your table is ready. You can also see where you place is in queue by going to a website provide in the text. I received a text promptly to confirm that I was on the list and I promptly looked to see where we were in line. There where 79 parties were in front of us!! The wait ended up being about an hour and a half when we received our text that our table was ready.

Once inside our orders were quickly taken and our food was out within 15 minutes. The menu had a good variety of breakfast selections. I have to say this was one of the best breakfasts that I've had in a long time. The pancakes here were great and I also tried a side order of their sausage which was also good. I really like the syrup as it was very thin and absorbed quickly into the pancakes. I ended up buying a bottle of the syrup that they sell to take home to use when I make pancakes.

This was my first time to Magnolia Pancake Haus but I'll definitely come back when I'm in San Antonio again.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Almost everyone in San Antonio knows about this place so get there early or plan to get there after the breakfast rush.

This restaurant has awesome pancakes and staff. I appreciate the excellent service by Latoya.

This time I tried something new. I tried the "Joe's Eggs". It is an omelet with spinach, Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms and topped with Monterey jack cheese and roasted red pepper coulis (a sauce).

Well in my opinion, there was entirely too much cheese on this omelet but they allow you to make changes to the items for your enjoyment. I plan to try the other omelets on my next visit.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We arrived around 10:45 on a Friday and waited only 5 to 10 minutes before being seated. We were promptly served coffee, which was outstanding. I'm a coffee aficionado, and as such, have had coffee in many upscale coffee houses. This was as good as I've ever had.
I ordered pancakes with a side order of bacon. The pancakes were very light and tasted great. The bacon was thick sliced and cooked to crispy perfection. Because I had read rave reviews about it, I felt I had to try the Corned Beef Hash. I figured nothing could be that good. I shared it with two others at the table. Wow, it was "to die for". The best I've ever tasted. If this restaurant served nothing but Corned Beef Hash, I would still come here for breakfast.

The only down side was the size of the table. After two urns of coffee and four glasses of water, there was little room left. Even after jettisoning one of the urns and all water glasses, it was still cramped for four people, Of course, that may have partially been a factor of the size of the servings. They were generous servings.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

The wait was about 30+ minutes on a Monday before noon. Plan to go a little earlier than you plan to eat and expect to wait. Our understanding is that there is always a wait. After being seated I ordered the quiche of the day (spinach and mushroom) with pancakes $8 my daughter ordered a frittata (Denver omelet style with chipoltle drizzle) with grits $8+ and her boyfriend had a egg platter with pancakes $8+ we all had coffee. The waiter was very nice and all our food was delicious. We all agreed the frittata was the best. I personally loved my pancakes. They came with some "house made" maple syrup. I asked the waiter what it was made from and he didn't really say. I didn't get a chance to read the description in the menu so I ordered SF syrup just in case. The syrup was good and not overly sweet. In the future I would probably skip the eggs/quiche and just get a short stack ($4+) the hilarious part is our meals weren't that bad but for 3 people coffee tab was over $8 so if you could do without the coffee it's not unreasonably priced. 3 people brunch +tip was $40+. Will go again on next trip to SATX