“Best breakfast near Airport”

Magnolia Pancake Haus
Ranked #15 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Mystic, Connecticut
“Best breakfast near Airport”
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Our family of 4 had a late morning flight out of SAT. I saw an add for this restaurant in a touristy magazine and decided it would be a good way to start the day. We got there at 8:30 am and were promptly seated. The restaurant is located in a strip mall.It is airy, well lighted and decorated with pleasant colors and German Ceramic ware on the walls. We were immediately approached by a friendly waitress who promptly brought us our coffee and juice. She poured the first cup for us and promptly replaced the coffee pot as soon as we had emptied it. Cream was also replenished without being told to do so. The food was wonderful. I had a spinach and mushroom quiche that was very light and probably the best I have ever had. My wife had pecan pancakes that she raved about, our daughter had peach and pecan waffles and they looked so good that I convinced her to trade half of it with half of my quiche. Our son had an Omelette with chicken and cheese and topped with a green sauce. I would love to have that if we are ever to return to the San Antonio area.The prices were reasonable. Our waitress was very attentive. This was the best breakfast I have had this year. Next time I want to try out their meats.At the end of the meal we hopped into our rental SUV, found a gas station half a mile away and returned the car to Hertz a little over 2 miles away. As the plane took off a had a satisfied smile on my face which turned into a wide grin when I politely declined the crappy crackers that the airline tried to pass off as breakfast.

2 Thank paparam

• Korean first
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Yummy! I love breakfast.”
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Yummy! I love breakfast.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Everything is top notch...”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Everything is top notch, friendly, good service, good food, good atmosphere... only complaints I have are long waits (the place is insanely popular) and their failure to serve real maple syrup.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I have eaten there plenty of times ... and yes, the wait can be long at times, but its deff worth it. Even though once...”
Reviewed February 26, 2008

I have eaten there plenty of times ... and yes, the wait can be long at times, but its deff worth it. Even though once i find a dish i like, i stick to it in later visits... everything i have tried was pretty pretty good!

Had to stop going cause my kitchen and GF were getting jealous! lol .. Enjoy!

San Antonio
“I was insulted by the manager when I complained about bad service”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

My husband and I have been to the Magnolia Pancake Haus a couple of times, and the food and service are usually OK although overpriced for what we're getting.

On our latest visit (Saturday, 1/5/2008), the food was not very good - The shrimp in my omelette were old, the pancakes were cold and flat, and the coffee was bitter, as though the coffeepot hadn't been cleaned properly.

However - the "star" of the visit was the way we were treated when we complained about the length of time it took to get our order. For some reason, it took almost 45 minutes to get us our order. Parties were being seated around us and getting their order, and when I asked the waiter about it, we were told there as a large party ahead of us that was causing orders to be delayed. I pointed out that if that were true, none of the other parties - who were seated long after we were - should have gotten their orders.

I tried to complain about the service to the manager, but she immediately went on the offense about the situation. She even turned to my husband and said, "Does she speak English? Does she understand me?" She even went to far as to put her hand on my shoulder and wish me luck in finding a different restaurant.

As we paid for the meal, I asked the cashier for the owner and was told he was out of the country and didn't speak to anyone. She ended with "Believe me, I should know."

I called later that same day and spoke with someone who claimed to be the owner. He started arguing with me about the incident, and when I finally got mad and said I was going to the media with my story, he said that no ethical media person would report something like this. (What about food critics and bloggers?)

So - The food wasn't that good, the service was terrible, and management and the owner think nothing of arguing with and insulting a repeat (now former) customer who complains about bad service and simply expects an apology.

9 Thank texassolarcookers