“Not your most authentic Mexican”

Rosario’s Mexican Cafe Y Cantina
Ranked #25 of 4,633 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rosario's Mexican Cafe y Cantina serves up traditional South-of-the Border specialties in a contemporary setting. It has consistently been voted Best Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio by local food critics. Come see us soon!
New England
“Not your most authentic Mexican”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We were really looking for authentic Mexican food unfortunately this is pretty good Tex Mex only. The margaritas were very average. Check out Tito's nearby. Noisy and a long wait too.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great food but not-so-great environment”
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I ate at Rosario's on a Thursday night. It came highly recommended so we really wanted to try it. The place was packed and VERY loud. You had to shout to communicate and I just don't like that atmosphere. There is no waiting area so everyone was standing around and bumping into you. We waited about 30 minutes at the bar and had several drinks...they were awesome and the bar staff was nice despite being very busy. When we were seated we had a very attentive and personable waitress. The food was excellent...the chicken/lime/tortilla soup was to die for and the fish tacos were also great. Overall I loved the food but I would only go back at lunch to avoid the noise.

austin
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My friends & I were in SA for Fiesta and stopped by during our visit to the King William Fair. We almost passed on eating there because there was a bit of a wait but we figured we would hang out at the bar and stick it out. The food was definately worth the wait! I had the mole enchiladas and I have been dreaming about them ever since. I can't wait to go back, I would absolutley recommend.

San Antonio
“Waitress accused my husband and I of trying to walk out on a check”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

On Monday, April 20th, my husband and I decided to have an early dinner at Rosario’s so we arrived at about 4:00PM and were promptly seated.

We received our drinks quite quickly, but it took almost 45 minutes for us to get our meals. After waiting 30 minutes, I asked for a manager, and a young girl came over, claiming she was the manager (No name tag, no name). According to her, the reason our order was taking so long to get to us was because there was only one cook. Since there were only 6 occupied tables (all small parties of 2-4) in the entire restaurant, I was not happy with that answer, but stayed after I told the manager someone should have told us what was going on instead of abandoning us.

The order finally arrived after about 45 minutes, and it was OK, but not as hot as it should have been, as though it had been sitting out for a while.

We finally got our check, and as we were leaving, I made a comment about the service. Some young man caught up to us just as my husband and I stepped outside and introduced himself as the manager. As I was complaining about the service, our waitress came up and accused us of trying to leave without paying. She presented the “billfold” containing our check, but no money was showing. I had paid cash and placed the money behind the check, so I just moved that piece of paper, and – lo and behold! – there was the money for the bill. The waitress just turned around and walked back inside without saying a word. The “manager” has the good grace to look embarrassed, but never once tried to apologize for the accusation or to make up for it (“Here’s a coupon for a free appetizer/dessert for your next visit” is typical).

1 Thank texassolarcookers
Falls Church, VA
“Wonderful Food -- Even better Margaritas”
Reviewed April 5, 2009

An absolute must stop and eat, each and every time I visit San Antonio. Authentic mexican food, prepared perfectly. I crave that taste. Fajitas are hot, plentiful. Enchiladas are excellent.

Margaritas are phenomenal--has to be the best in San Antonio.