“We loved this place!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: West Crockett Street
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Ostra is located in a very picturesque and quiet area of the Riverwalk. We had lunch there which was very good. We were so impressed with the view and the atmosphere (and the food) that we went back again for their breakfast on a Saturday morning when they offer a buffet. This was our favorite restaurant (though we didn't get to try Las Canarias). The others were just average and so darn loud that we couldn't hear each other.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

What else needs to be said terrible food and service, beautiful atmosphere.

Reviewed January 7, 2011

They changed the name to Ostra. Anyway, it was not that great. The food was average. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was nice, but overall, not worth it. I did visit for the breakfast buffet, which was very nice, though. But don't go for dinner.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Took my partner out to dinner last Friday night. Wanted to try something new. The wait for a table inside would have been over 30 minutes. Should have gone somewhere else, but we decided to sit outside. Took a while for the waiter to take our drink and dinner order. Also took a while for the drinks to arrive, which was only iced tea and a diet coke. We ordered pasta with shrimp and spinach. Not a very good choice. Oh, the salad looked and tasted like leftovers that was fished out of the trash. It was like the waiter disappeared and finally decided to ask us if we wanted drink refills, which was after we finished our meal. Go somewhere else. Not worth it. The bill was $79 and change for the both of us.

Reviewed September 17, 2010

I was in town for a conference and visited Pesca's looking for an alternative to the steakhouses and Mexican food that cover the rest of the Riverwalk. The staff was attentive and helpful. The decor is contemporary and unique. I ate inside because of the unbearable Texas heat. The outside tables would have been lovely in cooler climes.

The first night I had a dish with shrimp, Crimini mushrooms, spinach, sun dried tomatoes and pasta in a light cream sauce. It was absolutely wonderful. The second night I tried their seafood chowder and a shrimp cocktail. Both were very good. The soup was a little salty but restaurant soups always are heavy on the salt. The shrimp tasted really fresh, not that rubbery, frozen, pre-cooked shrimp that many restaurants try to pass off as fresh.

I would also highly recommend the cocktails. They have a very complete wine selection, either by the bottle or the glass. The first night I had a glass of an Australian shiraz that was excellent. The second night I tried a blueberry mojito and was hooked!

The manager, Hussein, deserves special recognition. He is an attentive, hands-on manager. I suspect nothing gets by him as he watches over the tables, kitchen, bar and hostess station very carefully. He made sure all the guests were satisfied and well cared for.