“Come on Tuesdays and Wednesdays--that's when the freshest surprises come in!”
Review of Niki's Tokyo Inn

Niki's Tokyo Inn
Ranked #1,888 of 4,696 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I've been a regular at Niki's for a little over a year now, as my husband and I visit every week or so. The service speed is inversely proportional to the number of people there, but this is to be expected in a small family operation.

The food is excellent and the head waiter, Pat is hilarious, and if you are not a complete jerk or cretin, will treat you well. If you are rude to him or behave badly, he will have no compunction about letting you know. I don't see this as a flaw as some former guess apparently do. *shrugs*

So! The food! The Chuwan and ramen are both excellent, rich and flavorful, highly recommended. While you might not immediately think of curry, the curry is also excellent--just bear in mind that it is not Indian curry and enjoy!
I'm also a big fan of the yakisoba.

My husband generally makes a point to come in on Tuesday or Wednesday, as they fish in the Gulf over the weekend and Monday, so there are often things off the menu available then! He goes with the chef's recommendation generally.

If you go relatively frequently and are pleasant, don't be surprised if Pat starts adding little things to try or appetizers ^_^

Highly recommended! The first place we take visitors to San Antonio . . . except maybe Taco Taco, if it's the morning.

2  Thank flange5
There are newer reviews for Niki's Tokyo Inn

Reviewed July 29, 2009

I was trying to impress my, then boyfriend, to try Japanese food. It was his first time trying Japenese food. I had been bragging to him of the delicious food me & my daughter (7 y/o) would eat by ourselves every Friday. We simply loved it! Upon leaving, my boyfriend & daughter went outside ahead of me, & being my treat to them, i stayed behind to pay the bill. Pat, the waiter & owner? Had followed them outside demanding a tip! He was saying how the staff work hard for a tip! My boyfriend was flabbergasted! And speechless! When it was just me & my dtr I would always leave a tip when paying on a credit card. By the time I got outside to hear all the commotion, I explained to Pat I indeed left a tip while paying inside! He was'n hearing any of it! Needless to say, Pat did an about face & returned inside the restaraunt. My boyfriend was so embarrassed he said he will never set foot in that place again! I just felt horrible! That was 5 years ago, now married, we have not returned. That was just plain rude, & they made good $ off of me!!! Had he remained inside & not harass the customers, we'd probably still go there..

2  Thank JackSa_Tx
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I have eaten at Niki's for 20 years and counting and can say it is very consistent. To the reveiwer who states the fish at other sushi places is probably made form frozen fish, I must say that nearly all inland sushi places use previously frozen fish. This is actually much fresher tasting than trying to keep the fish in a perfect state with all the miles it has to travel. That being said, I never order salmon unless a sushi restaurant specifically states it is wild as farm raised salmon is about the most nasty tasting thing I have ever put in my mouth and if others cannot detect the difference, they need to eat fresh ,wild salmon and if they can't tell a difference, then something is wrong with their taste buds!
Back to Niki's , always consistent in service(slow) , to cuisine(generally quite good).
I can live with the service. But my top suggestions would be to :
1) list the type of frying oil they use as many items that are not in the sushi category are fried and I for one, detest trans fat(partially hydrogenated oil) in my food and when I asked the waiter(son of the owner) dismissed me out of hand (as if my question was the most annoying question he ever had posed to him). If using transfat oils, pleae switch to a healthier choice. My favorite is rice bran oil(high smoke point, clean, odorless and creates wonderful textures when frying , and can also be used for vinigrettes,etc)
2) Update the wine list to include boutique white wines from France and Italy that are unoaked and delicous with their style of foods. (Now they have the ubiquitous plum wines and some other junky wines from the large distributors.) Maybe also consider having a couple higher quality sake items that can be served cold (in addition to the hot lower quality sake they have now-which does still serve a purpose)
3) Include (when in season) fish that are flown in fresh and make a point of telling or listing the clientele so they have a choice to order higher quality fish and be even happier at the end of the meal.

2  Thank Shazam17
Reviewed May 20, 2009

The three star rating is misleading because some aspects of this restaurant are 5 star, but a few inadequacies make it a 3 star in my opinion. I have been to Tokyo 6 times and spent over 2 months there, I love Japanese food and heard that Niki's was the most authentic in town.

The Good: The sushi is probably the highest quality in town. I haven't been everywhere but the fish is very fresh and prepared well. I thought every piece of sushi (with one exception) was delicious. Authentic atmosphere.

The Bad: Where's the Salmon? They only have smoked salmon... The first sushi place I have ever been to that did not have salmon. The portions are HUGE. That is not a problem except that sushi should be served bite size. They serve one HUGE piece of fish instead of cutting it into two manageable pieces, I did not understand this at all. I had to bite into the sushi leaving half of it, which is ridiculous in my opinion. It should all fit in the mouth. I was adventurous and tried the uni, don't. It is an acquired taste even if you have the highest quality urchin. This was not. The texture and taste was not at all consistent with the quality I have had in Tokyo (Tsukiji more specifically)

Overall very good for San Antonio. Don't get me wrong way better than sushi zushi, but not as authentic as many claim it to be. Would I recommend? Not to anyone who has been to Japan, but to a south Texan, sure.

Reviewed January 19, 2009

Located just minutes from downtown situated right between the oldest affluent neighborhoods and the old blue collar neighborhoods built in the 40's that have become more commercial. Nikkis has been around for many years and is a family run business. It is our favorite sushi restaurant because the food is delicious and the family running the restaurant are very attentive to their clients. If you are a sushi connoisseur or from Japan this is the place for you.
Kick back and enjoy a meal prepared for your enjoyment, where you can relax and take your time while speaking to other diners that enjoy authentic Japanese and good company. If you want to try some of the most delicate sushi, this is the place. I have a taste for several varieties of sushi that have to be only days old from their catch, and have virtually no shelf life. I have only been served the freshest and highest quality sushi. At times they are out of these specialties, because they won't serve it if it’s not the best, but the Chef has always offered new suggestions and introduced me to other delicacies.

Nikkis is all about the food and an authentic Japanese experience. As such, the outside of the restaurant and the decor are not meant to attract people driving buy. The place has been thriving for years based on referrals from knowing customers. Take of your shoes, listen to relaxing Japanese music, and enjoy the always fresh flowers selected by the head Chef. Relax and sip some warm Sake while you await your meal. It’s a place where you will have great food and a great conversation with whomever you take there.

Caution!! If you don't like authentic sushi and you are someone who likes cooked fish and americanized rolls with Philadelphia cream cheese, this is not what you will find at Nikkis.