“Good, could have been Great”
Review of Niki's Tokyo Inn

Niki's Tokyo Inn
Ranked #858 of 4,915 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Hadn't been back to Niki's for several years. Went for dinner and sat at the sushi bar. Service was fantastic. Ordered both sushi and entrees Would have given Niki's a 4+ but for a couple of items.

I spent a little time in Japan and I'm pretty particular about my yakisoba. Few of the restaurants that I've been to in the US do yakisoba properly (as its done in Japan) so when I find one that does it gets 6 stars. Niki's was SO close! I ordered pork yakisoba. The plate arrived with the noodles properly topped with seaweed powder with shredded pickled ginger on the side. In the first bite my heart sank. Instead of bit sites pieces of pork, Niki's used ground pork. Almost ground sausage pork. Let's just say that this was a colossally bad idea and in no way OK. Yakisoba is a sort of thrown together street food and doesn't have a ton of rules but ground pork is a capital offense.

The other thing was the tempura. It was more toward the cold side when it arrived but I'm going to take some of the blame for that in so much as we were eating slowly. Our server was doing a really good job of staging our various orders and it has to be tough to balance the sushi chef in one room with the chef in the actual kitchen.

One thing to note about Niki's. Their menu proudly states "since 1970". I don't think anything has been redecorated or remodeled in the place since then. I know my first visit to Nikki's was over 20 years ago and nothing has changed since then. Either overlook the dated decor or do what I do and tell yourself its retro. I'll definitely be back to Niki's but we may have to have a discussion about the yakisoba before I order.

1  Thank ChrisIsOnTheRoad

Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you want some of the best sushi at the best prices, come into this family-run gem. The decor maybe tired and grungy, but the food is wonderful and the sushi is some of the freshest you will eat anywhere. Peroid.

1  Thank sat900
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I have always liked nikkies tokyo inn. I have gone there at least once a month, and after our last trip, I will never go again! We eat there all the time, and one of these times we didn't have much money for a tip, we left all we had and apologized.
We went again and there was no problem, the waiters were nice and the food was great. we went today for my birthday, and the waiter walked in after we were seated and told us to leave. He has joked with us before, and we laughed along not taking it seriously because he had just talked nicely with us when we walked in. He then blew out our candle, cussed at us, and called the police.
He called the police because he said we didn't leave good enough tips! We were emberassed beyond belief, and the staff spoke japanese about us until we left. We will NEVER go back and I am upset at how rude the staff was!

8  Thank choopymakim
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The food is real and so is a so called Head Waiter named "Pat". We have years of doing business with this place then a final occurrence. Upon entering this place the last time we were informed that we were "Bad Tippers" and not even to talk or sit down but to immediately leave. It was a flat lie. They loved our money to this point. So unless you tip an intuitive 30% or more then you will be thrown our in front of all persons. The service is very slow and multi-persons wait on you to add to the confusion. If this is what you want then they are for you. But it would be a better just to give your money to the bums that hang out next door waiting to break into your car then go inside and listen to a commoner named "pat" and his narrrow minded staff.

4  Thank 2011hmc2011
Reviewed September 10, 2010

First off, wear socks, sitting on the floor is a must to appreciate the wonderful atmosphere of this place, and it's required that you are sock-footed to do so.

Secondly, It's rare to be the intellectual inferior to the person waiting on you, but most of Pat's guests are. If you are a regular, you begin to notice that he is incredibly inquisitive and remembers even the details about you. He will treat you superbly if you do the same to him (please realize this is a family operation, and they cannot always have prompt service, as they prefer to keep as much as they can in the family, so if you come on a bad night, be patient, and don't hassle the wait staff, they'll remember it and reward you). You may wonder why, if Pat went to Yale he is a waiter at his family's restaurant? The answer is he (generally) enjoys it far more than being a journalist which, I believe, was his original career path.
Upon entering the place, you may wonder why they keep it in such disrepair. I've asked Pat, and he says they practice anti-advertising. They don't want more people to come. He has told me not to introduce people to his restaurant, because they get stressed out and become irritable if they are as busy as they often are (so he'd probably chastise me for writing this review). The owners are not in the business to get rich. They do what they do because it provides a living they can they enjoy it. Please allow them to enjoy it.

Be nice to them and they'll bring you treats from their garden, experimental deserts, or other delicacies, don't ask for them, if they like you, they'll come.

And of course, the food is absolutely scrumptious.
Suggestions:
Chicken Sticks - an interesting japanese take on fried chicken (also a very economical option)
Ribeye- only if you like fatty meat, wonderfully cooked and seasoned
Green Tea Ice Cream: odd, but very good. Sweeter than you would think.
Amaebi- sweet shrimp sushi
Cucumber Salad
Shrimp Tempura

6  Thank iappreciategoodfood

Been to Niki's Tokyo Inn? Share your experiences!