“Great Happy Hour”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Although we made reservations, we had to wait for a table with the requested river view. Turns out, it is not much of a view - just people walking on the sidewalk were visible. We waited in the bar and were told about the Happy Hour specials: $2 margaritas and selected appetizers. The fried pickles we ordered in the bar were very slow in coming out, but were brought to our dinner table after we were seated. The service and food were excellent and we enjoyed our dinner. The restroom is difficult to find. It is actually in the adjacent Drury hotel and accessed via a door in the bar. Access to the restaurant is on the river level only. Only Drury hotel guests can enter the hotel on the street level to access the restaurant.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The night we went they were out of filets, strip steaks and one other cut of meat. Since we wanted rib eyes we were okay with that. After ordering though, we were told that they were out of croutons for the Caesar salads. They had also 86'd a couple of other items requested by our table.

I ordered their ribeye. It was advertised on the menu as their tastiest cut. It had virtually no seasoning on it and hadn't been seared. I ordered it medium rare plus and it was more like medium-medium well. I should have sent it back but I didn't feel like waiting. I had the waiter bring me some au jus to dip it into so that helped a little bit.

This was my first and probably last visit to Texas Land and Cattle. There are many other fab steak houses to visit like SaltGrass right there on the river.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We spent two days in San Antonio and had the pleasure of eating at this restaurant. Herman was out waiter and was spot on with the service. Food was very good; would strongly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Terrible, disappointing, atrocious, disgusting? I feel that combining these words still does not do justice to the memory that is Texas Land & Cattle. Service was very very bad. Long waits at the table, waters left empty (and no we aren't water hogs either), no one checking on us. We heard at least 3 plates crash while we were there... which was almost 3 hours. It took 40 minutes to get our soup and salads. Food- my mom ordered a salmon. Yes I know, salmon in texas... but still you would think that it wouldn't be hard as a rock! way way overcooked. Everything was over salted too. I ordered a steak that was chewy and gross. My wife ordered her ribeye medrare, it came out well done with char on the edges. We sent it back to get a MR but it took 40 minutes. The next one came back bloody. Forty minutes for a bloody steak? really? A steakhouse that can't cook a steak.... how fitting in TEXAS!!!! These guys should all be fired for disgracing the state like that.
To their defense, the manager did comp my wife's meal, her virgin pina colada, and our fried pickles appetizer. but 3 out of 4 meals were completely terrible. DO NOT GO HERE (and it still cost us $74.51 after the items were comped!

1  Thank andrew j
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Definately rervcommend this restaurant. The food was the best we have had in Texas on our trip. It is a must to have the dessert you will not be sorry!!

Been to Texas Land & Cattle? Share your experiences!