“What Does It Mean . . .!?”

Sarita's Restaurant INC
Ranked #2,348 of 4,736 Restaurants in San Antonio
Reviewed March 14, 2013

What Does It Mean . . .!
by Eloquent Epicurean (292 reviews)
Although I have been coming here for years, I never seem to remember to ask where the restaurant name came from. I always figured it was an "inna godda davida" moment by the owner. You know?! The song by the "ancient" group the Iron Butterfly? Anyway, they meant to say "In a Garden of Eden" but were just to inebriated to articulate that mouthful.
So, I was figuring that maybe "Sarita" was supposed to have been "Senorita" . . . Huh?! . . . Huh?! O.K. I'll ask next time.
Only had dinner here a couple of times, but the lunch specials are always a bargain. Good cheesy enchiladas though I usually end up getting one beef and one cheese for the variety. Both have good savory tex-mex (chili powder, cominio, onion) flavor in the gravy. The fluffy flour tortillas are a favorite as well, but the rice and beans are usual and complementary in a tex-mex plate obligatory sort of way.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Sat down in one of the booths and while we were browsing the menu had roaches crawling up the wall next to us.... we moved over to a window booth - ordered cheese enchiladas with boraccho beans and got beef enchiladas with refried beans... had to be sent back... ordered sour cream NEVER got it..... horrible service and roaches too NO WAY....manager was at the register... he never asked us how our food was or anything... he KNEW about the roaches and never apologized either.... this is unexceptable behaviour - I don't know how the restaurant stays open - years ago it was good.... it has gone steadily down hill GO TO LAS PALAPAS... you will get a much better meal and service.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I just moved to San Antonio a month and a half ago, and have been delighted to find so many great mexican restaurants. So for our Saturday date night we decided to try Sarita's because we had received a coupon for $5 off our meal through "Valpak". The entire time we were there the waiter was incredibly rude and apathetic towards even being at work that day. We had our coupon for five dollars off our meal and in the left corner it stated that their happy hour is $1.99 margaritas EVERY DAY from 12-6.

When we asked our waiter about this he said that it was a misprint and the price had gone up to $2.99. (His answer was very rude). We weren't really upset bc $2.99 is nothing to complain about when getting a margarita, but the couple sitting behind us said they had been going there since it opened and all we had to do was ask the manager or owner and he would fix it. They got their ticket altered and even were nice enough to talk to the owner as they were leaving saying that we were their friends and had the same ad that they did. Upon paying for our check the owner glared at us as we walked by. When we addressed the ad to the hostess she went and asked the manager and he came up to the counter and VERY RUDELY responded that is was a 'misprint' and they refused to honor it. I then began to state that it was their ad and that it is also still on their website and so they really had to honor it. He continued to raise his voice and say that they would NOT honor it. I got so upset that I told him it was our first and last time to ever eat their and had to leave.

After I left, the hostess turned to my husband and said "Wow, she was overdramatic!" He immediately defended me. The hostess then forgot to give my husband the $5 off of our meal and had to call the owner over to refund his money and then recharge the correct amount. The owner stormed back to the front and then began telling my husband that he couldn't use his coupon because we took advantage of their happy hour...which in his mind was like using another coupon. At this point my husband realized that the owner was going to say and do anything (EVEN LIE AND BE FLAT OUR DECEITFUL!) to "stick it to us further". Luckily the hostess gave us the $5 off after the owner left.

We will NEVER return there again and I plan on letting everyone know never to go there unless you really don't care about how you're treated.

3  Thank lkelly312
Reviewed October 1, 2010

I went to Sarita's today for the second time- my wife and I were very tired and I just wanted to relax and eat some food. We both got tea and I ate a couple of tortilla chips, she made up her mind right away and said out loud what she wanted- our waiter was instantly over (I think he was actually listening to our conversation). He wanted to take our orders- my wife and I both told him that I was not ready to order but he insisted on taking her order anyway and then folded his arms and stood there- I told him I was not ready and I needed some more time and he still just stood there silently looking over my shoulder. I told him I did not care to have him looking over my shoulder while I made up my mind and he still just stood there, saying nothing. Very creepy. Finally I told him was not going to order with him looking over my shoulder so I was not eating, thank you very much. I walked across the street to Whataburger and had a nice burger in my car while my wife ate as she is hypoglycemic and had to eat right then. Call me whatever you want but I was incredibly creeped out and will never ever go back there.

Try Garibaldi's across the street- the food is ok, the service not great but the wait staff does have a pulse and are actually pretty likable.

Never eat there again.

1  Thank foodifyer
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We have been going to Sarita's for many years. Atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but the food is usually very good, as is the service. Price has been raised to the point that we don't go there nearly as often as we once did, unless we have a coupon. Figure on $10-12 per person, not including tip or alcoholic drinks.