“A great history firefighters, with very knowledgeable volunteers that love their jobs!”

San Antonio Fire Museum
Ranked #45 of 270 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I came in town from New Orleans and didn't realize that Six Flags and Seaworld were closed for the season. So I searched online to find something else for my two-year-old son and I to do. I'm extremely happy I came across this museum! My son loved sounding the fire alarm on the 1927 fire truck. My son enjoyed putting together the fire truck floor puzzle as we'll as trying on a firefighters helmet. Mr. Randy was very humble and enthusiastic when answering all of my questions. Visiting this museum was one of my favorite parts of my vacation. It's a must see if you enjoy history, appreciate occupations that are high risk, and have kids!

2  Thank ilovereviews504

Reviewed January 10, 2014

What a wonderful surprise to find the Museum right outside our hotel. It was just what we needed to make our visit to San Antonio "Special". We are from Shoal Lake, Manitoba, Canada and a member of the Fire Dept. It was a great way to spend an hour ,,maybe we spent two. The volunteers were friendly and they have done a wonderful job displaying the history of the Fire Service in San Antonio. You know from the moment you step in the door the pride with which this Museum was created and the pride the volunteers have. Just a wonderful place to visit anytime. Highly recommended! Rick & Deb

2  Thank Deb E
Reviewed November 30, 2013

About to cross the street, returning from our car after visiting the Alamo, the Fire Museum was right in front of us. Our three year old loves fire engines, fire fighters, and even wants to wear red every day like fire fighters (we've been trying to tell him they wear other colors too, but...) so, when we saw the fire museum, how could we not go?

This museum is run and put together by retired firefighters and funded by volunteer and fundraising efforts, the museum has three trucks right now, one from the 1920's, another from the 50's and then another from the 80's. It's really interesting how they've changed over the years.

We were free to look around and because there weren't too many people, our son was able to pretend to drive one of them, ring the bell, hold a real hose, and one of the fire fighters showed him the crank siren on the earliest built engine. They also had small fire engines out to play with.
It was informative and fun for me as an adult, and our son loved playing there and seeing the firetrucks.

The retired fighters are super nice and really welcoming and seem to be proud of what they have created- and they should be- it's special and in my book, totally worth it!

1  Thank LJWF
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

A very nice venue to highlight San Antonio history of those who serve!

Good historical perspective.

The antique fire trucks and fire fighting equipment are nicely restored.

1  Thank O S
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I have ties to the fire service. We were staying at the Marriott's Springhill Suites Hotel for the weekend for my niece's wedding downtown. How happy were we when we walked right past the museum to go to the Riverwalk and it was their Grand Opening celebration! What a great collection of fire equipment, gear and history. We spent over an hour there and took lots of pictures. The staff (former firefighters) were, of course, very knowledgeable and very friendly. There are plans for expansion of the museum in the future. I highly recommend this museum to families and anyone interested in the fire service. It's just a short walk from the Alamo and the Riverwalk.

1  Thank Kristin M