“Undergoing a transition. Our meal was in the middle of it.” 3 of 5 bubbles

ORO Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #284 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the lobby level of the historic Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, ORO Restaurant and Bar is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our restaurant rotates seasonal menus built around regional flavors and fresh ingredients from local Texas farmers. With gaping windows that provide excellent views of The Alamo, a sleek and sophisticated interior decor, and a Texas-inspired hand-crafted menu, ORO produces a wonderful dining experience right in downtown San Antonio.
Kerrville, Texas
“Undergoing a transition. Our meal was in the middle of it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We dined here last night, and discovered that half the restaurant was closed off because it's undergoing renovations (The Emily Morgan hotel is being turned into a Doubletree, and so far, it looks nice.) So I don't think we had the best meal this time, but it remains to be seen where this heads.

So, the restaurant was very beautiful, even with the trash bag walls closing off the "At Work" part of the dining room. The tables and chairs were really comfy. And our server, Michael, was very nice.

I had a crab cake for an appetizer. I liked the crab cake, and my dad liked his soup, although something they put in it was stale.

As for our entrees, I had a brisket sandwich, and my parents each had hamburgers. I ordered better than they did, as they felt their burgers, while being OK, were pre-fab, and the buns were better than the burgers. Coincidentally, I think the buns weren't house made. I loved them, but they could have made the buns themselves. And the fries were frozen. The brisket and sauce were fabulous, though.

So this place is alright, and I guess we'll see where it goes when the renovations are complete.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Austin, Texas
“Good omelettes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good breakfast and very good service. The decor was nice as it was holiday settings and there were many good choices on the menu.

Visited November 2012
San Antonio, TX
“Great Happy Hour and Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a disclaimer we had dinner using a voucher we received from the manager some time ago and saved it to celebrate our anniversary. We had previously had dinner at the Oro and thoroughly enjoyed it - and this experience was the same. They have a great Happy Hour at the bar, then when we went to check in for the restaurant we were greeted by "Happy 40th Anniversary" - a nice touch. The service was great and the food (we both had the large rib eye steak) was delicious. We also had a very nice breakfast (omelets, bacon, toast and coffee for 2 at $30). Great place to eat and get away from the bustle of the Riverwalk restaurants.

Visited November 2012
Texas
“Not bad, but could be better..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My family and I just spent this last weekend there at the hotel and dined at the restaurant once. First of all, we couldn't quite figure out who was suppose to be waiting on us because it seemed as if the wait staff was playing "tag waitering". Whenever we asked for something, one person would take tend to us and another would complete the task, or else they'd say "let me go tell him/her. No appetizers were ordered just some wine which was absolutely rancid. I finally asked the waitress if they could serve us a different wine and she agreed; but, before she walked away she said, "oh, yes, I saw the bartender pouring you the wine and I thought it was an older open bottle"..So, that summed that up real quick. We got new glasses of wine from an unopened bottle and that naturally made a world of difference. For dinner, I had the roasted young half chicken that was not excellent, but good. My wife ordered the orechiette smoked chicken pasta which indicated was good overall. As a whole, I believe that the staff lacks good management and needs better training. With improved training this restaurant will do better in the long run.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boerne, Texas
“Nice and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The ORO is a very nice restaurant. Although the service was slow the last time we were there, we frequently eat dinner here before a theatre production. The food is excellent. You can valet park for free if you have dinner before a show, and it's only 3 blocks to the Majestic.

Visited September 2012