“Not bad, but could be better..”

ORO Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #327 of 4,622 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the lobby level of the historic Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, ORO Restaurant and Bar is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our restaurant rotates seasonal menus built around regional flavors and fresh ingredients from local Texas farmers. With gaping windows that provide excellent views of The Alamo, a sleek and sophisticated interior decor, and a Texas-inspired hand-crafted menu, ORO produces a wonderful dining experience right in downtown San Antonio.
Texas
“Not bad, but could be better..”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My family and I just spent this last weekend there at the hotel and dined at the restaurant once. First of all, we couldn't quite figure out who was suppose to be waiting on us because it seemed as if the wait staff was playing "tag waitering". Whenever we asked for something, one person would take tend to us and another would complete the task, or else they'd say "let me go tell him/her. No appetizers were ordered just some wine which was absolutely rancid. I finally asked the waitress if they could serve us a different wine and she agreed; but, before she walked away she said, "oh, yes, I saw the bartender pouring you the wine and I thought it was an older open bottle"..So, that summed that up real quick. We got new glasses of wine from an unopened bottle and that naturally made a world of difference. For dinner, I had the roasted young half chicken that was not excellent, but good. My wife ordered the orechiette smoked chicken pasta which indicated was good overall. As a whole, I believe that the staff lacks good management and needs better training. With improved training this restaurant will do better in the long run.

• Visited November 2012

Boerne, Texas
“Nice and quiet”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The ORO is a very nice restaurant. Although the service was slow the last time we were there, we frequently eat dinner here before a theatre production. The food is excellent. You can valet park for free if you have dinner before a show, and it's only 3 blocks to the Majestic.

Visited September 2012
Haddon Township, NJ
“Delicious and beautifully presented”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I ate at the Oro Restaurant both for breakfast and for dinner. Both meals were outstanding and the presentation of the food was awesome. At breakfast, I had a view of the beautiful horse drawn carriages right outside my window. I would definitely eat there again.

• Visited September 2012
Houston
“Not a good way to end a lovely evening!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

After a wonderful dinner, we decided to enjoy a nightcap & dessert at the bar at Oro. We have been there on several occasions & enjoyed the bar & music. On this night though, we were very disappointed. The bartender was inattentive. We ordered a drink & dessert. The dessert took over 20 minutes to get & we had to ask the bartender twice for service. We finally got our plate after speaking to a waitress in the bar area. The dessert which was suppose to be a chocolate cake w/ chantilly cream was hard & looked unappealing. After just 1 bite, we pushed our plate aside. We complained to the bartender who didn't respond. We left soon after paying the check, which was too bad since there was a great band playing that night. Don't think we will be back.

• Visited September 2012
Somerville, Texas
“Back again and still disappointed!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was back in San Antonio in July and stayed at the Emily Morgan hotel. Their restaurant Oro prides itself on being a 3 Star or shall I say "up-scale" establishment. I am really surprised by the great reviews. Since I stay there every 3 or 4 months I can say that the quality is spotty. Sometimes it is good or great and the next time it's not so much. One of the dishes on the child's menu is a pasta primavera. One time I ordered it and it was sensational the next two times I ordered it it looked like they were out of veggies and just added whatever they could find. I ordered the steak one evening and it was so tough I could barely cut it! If you order Huevos Rancheros for breakfast be advised that the eggs do NOT have peppers and onions scrambled in them but mine came with greed sauce over the eggs. Black beans are included under the eggs....no taste. I am just confused as to why the quality is so inconsistent. I hope you have better luck!

• Visited July 2012