“Wonderful light meal before concert at the Majestic!”

Houston Street Bistro
Ranked #125 of 4,769 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I each enjoyed a tasty light meal of a Caesar salad($7) and a large crab cake($12) with wine for a light meal before a concert next door. The crab cake was divine...all crab...very light panko crust on outside...yummy remoulade/tartar sauce. Very satisfying and delicious!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

If I could give this place a negative score, I would. I bought a Groupon for this place and figured I would give it a shot. I should have known something was wrong with Houston St. Bistro because it was Friday night at 8pm and there were only 2 other tables taken in the entire restaurant.

I checked out the website before I went and saw that they advertised 1/2 price bottle of wine after 8pm. Sounded great, so I went at 8. I told the waitress that I wanted the bottle special and she had to go over to the owner (or manager?) to verify. She came back saying she would do it JUST this time, but they don't have that special anymore. Ok, then you should take it off your website.

We gave her our groupon and ordered our food. We had a late lunch, so we weren't extremely hungry, so we said we wanted to split the tomato salad and the huge ny strip. The waitress forgot to tell us that there would be a $6 charge to split 4 slices of tomato and then another $6 for the steak. (Which ok, not a big deal with the steak, but the SALAD? And just tell us when we are ordering, not when we are paying).

The entire time we were eating the owner was sitting at the bar giving us the stink eye. When the bill comes out, he comes out and abrasively says that we could either use the Groupon OR get the 1/2 off the bottle of wine. Keep in mind I paid $15 for $30 of food for the groupon AND they charged $12 in fees for putting our food on 2 plates, so I saved a whole stinking $2 with the Groupon.

I have NEVER in my LIFE had an owner or manager of a restaurant, and argue loudly (to the point of yelling) like that. If you didn't want to take the Groupon, don't offer them. If you don't want to honor your wine special, then take it off your website. There is a reason this place is empty on a Friday night... avoid this place like the plague.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This restaurant was a good find -just down the block from where we were staying (the Valencia). Food was good, service was good, 1/2 price wine after 8pm... We wanted to share a couple dishes and they split everything we ordered onto separate plates which some kitchens just won't do... Greek salad was perfect.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Best dinner in san antoino tx thank you im.have the filet and shrimp whit marsela crem sauce perfec dinner and wine

1  Thank Galaxya
Reviewed March 4, 2012

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to try this place and were not disappointed. It was within walking distance from our hotel on the riverwalk and had the perfect ambience to quietly celebrate our anniversary. After 8pm, bottles of wine are half price which was a pleasant surprise. The service was experienced if just a bit inattentive. In his defense, a 7 top arrived in the middle of our meal, but we would have ordered dessert had we been asked 10 minutes earlier. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The entrees were wonderful, especially the wasabi encrusted tuna on a bed of corn rice medley with an incredible sweet Thai Chili sauce. The tuna was cooked to perfection at medium, seared on the outside with a rich red center. It was definitely our favorite. The grilled salmon entree was also cooked perfectly at medium, but the bed of barley and spinach it was served on seemed a bit heavy and bland. Overall, it was a wonderful meal and we would definitely return.

1  Thank Kimberly B