“This place has really gone down hill. I will not return”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
San Antonio
“This place has really gone down hill. I will not return”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I've been here before. The food had been ok. My wife and I were in the area and decided to get some Thai food.

Start with the menu--the printing isn't even lined up correctly. Seems like a small thing, but keep reading and you'll see it started a trend. Also, the lunch specials didn't give detail about what was actually in the entrees.

The sweet and sour soup was straight out of a bag. Not good enough guys.

We ordered springs rolls as an appetizer. Spring rolls are fried--really easy to get right. These, although just fried, were overdone and rather tasteless.

Our entrees were rather tasteless. My wife's entree had green beans that were freezer burnt. My Pad Thai was bland, and the tofu obviously frozen. The chicken seemed to be the lowest grade Sysco can provide--circus grade. The chili power I had to ask for didn't even save this dish.

The waitress who asked if everything was ok comically walked away when I began to tell her it was not up to par.

All this for $25! Yikes. I liked this place before--never again.

PLEASE let the Sarika's in Boerne stay exceptional.

• Visited December 2011

San Antonio, Texas
“How very Sad.”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Well, I have always loved Sarikas. The food has always been really good. The last time I went I asked two people working there if they would deliver to my new office. I explained where it is and they agreed to deliver there. SO...one saturday (3/5/11), a bunch of nurses who I work with and myself included wanted to order and have Sarika's delivered to us. It took a long time to get the order together as it was large and to collect the money (which was impressive) and place the call. The young man who answered studdered and stammered about delivering 4.3 miles instead of their usual 3 mile radius. He stated that he would have to charge another $5.00 fuel surcharge in order to deliver. On top of the $5.00 charge, you are required to order a minimum of $15.00 worth of food. No problem with the minimum because as I said the order was large. The problem was with the fuel SURCHARGE. It is a well know fact that nurses tip very well and order from their favorite restaurant very often. Needless to say, I did not feel that adding the fuel surcharge onto the bill was smart. There was no mention of the surcharge when I spoke to the female and male supervisors a couple of weeks prior. Well, I did not order, gave the money back to everyone and explained why I refused to pay it. Most of them agreed with my decision. They wouldn't pay it either. HMMM. Guess we all lost out. What a shame. So if you can drive, walk or fly there, then great but if you live 1 tenth of a mile over 3 miles you will have to pay an extra $5.00 for gas. I guess you could just not tip but that would be tacky. Sorry delivery person.....could have made your day.

• Visited January 2011
Texas
“Sarika's serves good Thai in a city where it is a rarity.”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Really enjoyed Sarika's! Food was wondefullly spicy; service was attentive and polite, and the prices were very resonable for the experience and quality of the food. This is the best Thai food I have experienced yet in San Antonio. Only drawback was that it took a while longer than expected to prepare the meal. Otherwise, a fine experience.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank TxBizTravlr
San Antonio, Texas
“Worst service experience I have every had”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I had the displeasure of visiting Sarika's Thai restaurant today. My wife suggested we go there to celebrate her recent graduation from training as an LVN. From the start, I was taken aback due to the delay in greeting us and getting us seated. We waited at the entrance for nearly 10 minutes, with nobody else waiting with us, for someone to acknowledge us and ask us to be seated. My wife finally tapped a waitress on the shoulder and asked if we were supposed to seat ourselves. We were met with an annoyed look from the waitress. She found us a place and sat us. She immediately left. We waited another few minutes for another waitress to ask what we wanted to drink. We both asked for water with lemon. After nearly 10 minutes, we were brought iced tea. My wife corrected the waitress in what we had asked for. The drinks were taken away and replaced with water after about another 5 minutes. We then waited to order, after receiving menus along with the water. It took 15 minutes before my wife waved her arm to get the attention of our waitress. This waitress was occupying her time with seating other customers and bringing their bills to the cashier and had not stopped by nor even glanced our way to see if we were ready to order. By this time, I was nearly out of patience, but I held my tongue in respect to my wife's pleadings to not make a scene. Our order was taken and we proceeded to wait for our meal to arrive. During this time, a young couple was seated at the table right next to our own. Another waitress, along with our own, started up a conversation with the young man of this couple. They appeared to know him and commented about how they were glad to see him again. From what I heard, he was a regular. They brought him and his companion their drinks and took their order immediately. Meanwhile, my wife and I continued to wait for our meal. I was on my lunch break and had to return to work by 1PM. We waited for about another 15 minutes or so, which would not have been a big deal normally except for what happened next. The couple seated next to us, received their meal from their waitress. All in all, it took about 10 to 15 minutes from the time they arrived to the time their meals were placed before them. I decided that I could not keep quiet any longer. I removed myself from the table and asked to speak to the manager. I was shown where he was by another waitress by way of her pointing to him behind the register. She did not even have the courtesy to walk me over to him and tell him that I needed to speak to him. I waited while he finished up his transaction at the register, upon which I walked up to him and in a low voice told him that I was not at all satisfied with the customer service that I had recieved (not received) so far. He looked blankly at me and stated that they were busy and it couldn't be helped. I explained to him the entire story from our arrival to the arrival of our fellow diner's meal before wer received our own meals. He responded with a slight smirk and stated that sometimes tickets get mixed up in the kitchen and meals mistakenly get served to someone else instead of the customer it was supposed to go to. I pointed out to him that I was aware of how things can slow down during a lunch rush, but that didn't explain why the "regular" customer received his meals before us. I told him that I was aware that the waitress seemed to know this customer and was very familiar in her conversation with him. He again smirked and said that he was sorry for the inconvenience. He offered no other explaination. He then instructed the waitress to go check on our meals. She entered the kitchen and immediately returned with our meals. I found this to be very "strange" to say the least. If I were a betting man, I would lay money on the fact that our meals had been sitting in the kitchen for quite some time now. Our waitress tried to usher me back to my table, by saying "Oh sir, here it is". I turned down her offer to return to my table and asked the Manager, Mr Miguel Veliz, if that was all he had to say to me and was all he was going to do about the situation. He said, "Yes, sir. What else do you want me to say". I stated to him that I would never frequent his restaurant again in the future and that I would be writing a letter/review to every restaurant review website that I could find on the internet. I also told him that I would make it a point to not recommend his restaurant to my hundreds of clients. He again smirked and said, "Okay, sir". I went back to my table and recovered my wife and we left; leaving our empty glasses of water (which were never refilled once during this entire time). I took my wife back to her place of employment and turned back around to go back to the restaurant. I had forgotten in my haste to leave, to get a business card and the name of the manager. When I entered the restaurant and asked for his name and number, he gave me that smirk once again and wrote down his information on the back of the business card. I can only guess as to whether it is correct or not. To be very clear, this episode occured on March 07, 2011 from approximately 11:45AM to 12:45PM. I am in the customer service business and have not been treated in this manner ever in my life at a restaurant. Even at fast-food restaurants, I have enjoyed better service than what I got at Sarika's Thai. They proudly display a 2007 Zagat's award on their wall. I don't know how they could have possibly earned that award.
Joey Solis

• Visited March 2011
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Thai Restaurant”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

This was one of the best dining experiences I had while visiting the Medical Center on business for the week. This Thai restaurant is small and in a medical storefront stripmall, but the interior is nicely done. Parking for dinner was ample (as the surrounding businesses were closed). The waitress in silk dresses adds to the evening atmosphere. The Tom Kai soup and basil beef dinner were excellent, as were the sping rolls. This was some of the best Thai food I have had in a while and in relatively nice atmosphere. I highly recommend this restaurant and definitely plan to return when in the area again.

1 Thank drichrx