“Good burgers. Pomegranate Mojito. Service hit or miss. A little pricey.”
Review of Luther's Cafe

Luther's Cafe
Ranked #2,312 of 4,692 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Luthers is part old-time diner and part social event. Entertainment almost every night. Good Time and Great Food in a casual atmosphere.
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I've been to Luther's a dozen times or more because my teenager likes to sing Karaoke and I don't want to drag him to bars. Plus, I am a student, and it's close to San Antonio college.

I've had a wide range of experiences there concerning staff / service. I have dealt with some snotty servers (mostly female, oddly enough) and some great ones who fawn all over you to make you happy. It just depends, but I have also had no qualms with showing up and making it clear I did NOT want a certain server, and I've always been accommodated.

The food is good, but a little overpriced. You do get a lot for the money though, and I've learned to SHARE a burger now rather than trying to eat it all by myself. Love the tater tots.. love the sweet potato fries.. and if you order a steak with the sauteed spinach! Wow. That spinach is delicious and evil. Probably far too butter laden to ever be considered a "vegetable' anymore but yum! Portions for a steak dinner were small though. Stick with a burger, if you're hungry.

I am not exactly a mixed drink expert but love their pomegranate mojitos, and the atmosphere can be fun. Good late night option to people watch too. My mother calls it "that gay place" but it's clearly not.. however, it is an accepting atmosphere and we are a same sex couple with kids, so that counts for quite a bit, because we can go as a family and feel welcomed and have fun.

1  Thank coloradodreamininTX
There are newer reviews for Luther's Cafe

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Went to luthers to have some drinks one night with some friends! And I have to say the bartender I think Pete was awesome so funny and charming my wife and I try to visit this great establishment when ever we can....

Reviewed January 8, 2011

Wow. Greatness: food, building, atmosphere, price, staff.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

The service was lousy. We were there on a Saturday night, the place wasn't crowded, but it took forever to get our drinks and then food. The food is mediocre at best. The burgers are bland, the fries were cold, and the kids meals were bad. There was a huge puddle of water in the bathroom. The floors in the place were sticky with grease or something. It's too bad, because this place has some serious potential. It's been around since 1949, but obviously lacks the management to be a great San Antonio eatery.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

Enjoyed a relaxing evening at Luther's Cafe in downtown San Antonio, Texas. Went with my two daughters aged 20 and 10, and a good friend of the family. They were a little busy so it took a few minutes to get our drink order, but that didn't faze me too much, as the service picked up just fine and the wait staff was friendly. I ordered a chili burger - they "hand form" the hamburgers so you get that wonderful, irregular, thick, delicious patty that reminds you of being at home at a backyard gathering. It was served with these wonderful fries with a special seasoning that was just out of this world.

We went on a Monday, and lucked out, as a fantastic, incredibly gifted local singer by the name of Ryan Bonn was performing live music. He was performing along with his friend, the beautiful, plucky Becky King, his dear friend for many years. Great music, oldies, new stuff, they even invited any singers out amongst the patrons to come up and sing too (though no one stepped forward that night!). Ryan was extraordinarily gracious, he came to our table and said hello, just a great guy. Turns out every Saturday at 10:30pm he holds "Broadway Open Mic" at the Josephine Theater at 339 W. Josephine.
It's free, though he does play for tips! So if you're in town on vacation or a local, come on down Saturday nights and check him out! (I plan to!)

I definately would recommend Luther's to anyone visiting San Antonio. Sitting outside, enjoying good food, great music....what more could you ask for!

2  Thank txjosephine