“Local's hidden spot for a quiet breakfast!”

Madhatters Tea House and Cafe
Ranked #2 of 76 Coffee & Tea in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Arsenal
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place for breakfast. We searched and found the Guenther House. Someone local told us about the Madhatters Tea House and Café. What a find! No cell phones were allowed to be turned on. It made for a relaxed breakfast and I had the Belgian waffle special and they were the best ones I've ever had!!

1  Thank Cynthia P

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My Fiancee took me here. She has been here several times with her friends. Although it was somewhat difficult to find because of the construction detours, it was well worth the search. We both got the sandwich lunch and were not disappointed. It's a home-transformed-into-a restaurant. It was very relaxing.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Breakfast choices downtown on the river walk seemed to be expensive hotel buffets or Denny's. Found Madhatters in the King William neighborhood and it's not a long walk off the south end of the riverwalk, although it's not on the river. We actually walked on surface streets to reach it. It's a great, eclectic restaurant that seemed to be full of locals. It's not sit-down service, but we were greeted immediately upon arrival, told what the protocol was, ordered at the counter, and helped ourselves to coffee. The food was served promptly and arrived hot. We had breakfast tacos/burritos and some kind of tea infused cardamom oatmeal that I need to figure out how to make. This would be my regular spot if I was a local.

2  Thank dd-bionic
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is an adorable, eclectic coffee/tea house in the King William District. It has cozy chairs, a library setting or traditional tables. A wonderful place to leisurely hang out. They are more known for their tea than their coffee, but both are wonderful. If I lived there this would be my go to place every morning!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I found this place on Trip Advisor as it is slightly outside of the downtown and tourist area so you wouldn't probably walk by and see it. It is a very homey and relaxed place. All your drinks are serve yourself so you can actually get your coffee to the exact proportions of whatever you like in them the way you like it. And you can pick your style and type of cup or mug from their eclectic and random assortment of cups. The menu serves normally basic foods for breakfast (didn't come for anything else) but in a uniqu and homey way or flavor. Oatmeal was good especially with the infused spices but I did find it a bit dry. Kids had pancakes (special) one day and waffles (special) another day. If I lived in the area I would come frequently. The key is to come in open minded without expectation and have a wonderful unique and relaxing start to your day.
Service was fast as well but on our second visit I saw quite a few customers coming in at once while we were leaving. Not sure how service will be in this case. The times we came, the teahouse was minimally filled and service was attentive.