“Impressed with this place!”
Review of Cappy's Restaurant

Cappy's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cappy's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 4,883 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Alamo Heights
Cross street: Mary D
Transit: VIA bus stop one block away at Broadway/Patterson. Broadway runs north-south from downtown to Loop 4l0.
Description: This casual, upscale restaurant offers innovative American cuisine including the freshest seafood from the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Pacific, great steaks from Allen Brothers in Chicago, and regional and seasonal specialties. Daily lunch and dinner specials feature local ingredients whenever possible. The Kobe beef burger can be paired with hand cut French fries, crispy thin onion rings, homemade lemon-pepper potato chip or potato salad. There is an outdoor patio under a canopy of oak trees that's shady and extremely popular with locals and visitors to San Antonio. The brunch offered on Sundays features a menu of classic egg dishes, fire-roasted prime rib, Texas pot roast, jumbo lump crab cake, and top entree salads, chicken and seafood dishes. Cappy's has an ever-changing, dynamic and well-priced wine list, with great choices by the glass or bottle. Full bar.
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I was a little hesitant to try this restaurant simply because trip advisor recommended it on their 3 day tour of San Antonio suggestion, only because I thought it was maybe a tourist trap type of restaurant. Well, I was wrong. The food was excellent, great atmosphere, we sat out on the patio. The nacho's were excellent, I had the paella, husband had the mustard chicken. Service was pretty good. We would recommend this! After visiting San Antonio we found out most of the tourist trap type of restaurants are in the river walk area.

1  Thank poteat_3177

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We happened upon Cappy's last week when we were in San Antonio for our son's graduation from Air Force Basic Military Training, based upon ratings from Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. Our server, Michael was very informative and helpful guiding us through our decisions. It wasn't easy - so many wonderful choices! Everything, including the breads and desserts are made on premises. My husband chose the Catfish Gumbo after much deliberation. Great choice!! We live in New England and catfish usually comes to our restaurants frozen. This gumbo was phenomenal - the broth was a deep molasses color, so the roux was very complex and flavorful. The blackened catfish (fresh, not frozen) was presented on top of the Gumbo and was cooked to perfection. Truth be told, I didn't even actually see my husband eat the catfish - it just disappeared from the plate!
My son ordered the Chicken Mustang - a chicken breast coated in panko and horseradish fried golden brown and finished in a mustard drizzle. It was AMAZING! (Yes, I actually tried each dish - tough job, but somebody has to do it).
I ordered Scrambled Eggs with Lump Crab and Lobster Tail. I know you can't screw up eggs... but this dish was phenomenal for brunch! The eggs were to die for, light and fluffy with a good proportion of lump crab meat, and the lobster tail was poached in butter and was presented on top of the eggs. So good.
For desert, with some guidance from Michael - we chose the chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and the sticky toffee pudding. Both were fantastic, but if I were you, I would not leave the restaurant until I had the sticky toffee pudding... just saying...
Thank you Cappy's and Michael for a wonderful Sunday brunch and for making our last few hours celebrating our son's BMI such a memorable experience.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Four of us ate at Cappy's on a warm march evening (3/15) on the outdoor patio. Our server Falcon (not kidding, that was his name) was attentive without being obsequious and made excellent recommendations. We started with barbecued oysters (sublime) and fried shrimp and Brussels sprouts (a surprising combination that worked) followed by salads that were crisp, fresh and a little different. My wedge had Stilton in addition to blue cheese. The others enjoyed their salads, too. I don't know firsthand as no one offered me a bite. :-). Our main courses were wonderful. I had rack of lamb on a mint and pea polenta with roasted vegetables. Great portions--couldn't eat it all. My husband had scallops that were the best he'd ever eaten. I should have written this review earlier because I can't remember what my sister and her husband ate but they loved their dinners, too. Because they were out of coconut cream pie, my brother in law ordered toffee pudding, which turned out to be apricot cake soaked in cream and butter and topped with butterscotch sauce and homemade vanilla ice cream. The other desserts, creme brûlée and bread pudding were very good, but the toffee pudding? There are no words....

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Nice restaurant as always. Food was very good, waitstaff very attentive, overall experience very very good.

A very creative menu with a variety of interesting choices.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This restaurant has all-round value on food, service and portions are notably huge.
Food: Thanks to our charming wait staff and mustang chicken was great (she said must try if this is the first time with Cappy). Perfect coating with horseradish (?) really yummy and chicken is cooked to perfection. Another plate we tried is Giant shrimps (5-6) fried to perfection and came with good portion of rice and vegetable. It is a simple dish but quite good (not complex compared to Mustang chicken though). Steak fries is so, so but it came with a really huge portion of frites and this could only be a weak link here. French fries is the only carb in this plate, it is ok to use a lot of salt, a brave idea to make fries taste better, but it overwhelmed the steak, which is bad.

So for the entree, I would recommend to stick to the specials and keep in mind that all dishes are not created equal. Gumbo soup looks pretty autheutic. Tiny bread (one made of corn, another one is like buttery home made bread and other one look like a miniscone) -- but why made them available upon request only?

Service: attentive and manger also visited every table. Ambience is nice. Price is also fairly placed. Must go, if you have a car while visiting San Antonio and your wallet will be happy rather than dining at Riverwalk.

1  Thank bigboy61455