“Fantastic service from Marcus and a fantastic meal!”
Review of Cappy's Restaurant

Cappy's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cappy's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 4,783 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Alamo Heights
Cross street: Mary D
Transit: VIA bus stop one block away at Broadway/Patterson. Broadway runs north-south from downtown to Loop 4l0.
Description: This casual, upscale restaurant offers innovative American cuisine including the freshest seafood from the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Pacific, great steaks from Allen Brothers in Chicago, and regional and seasonal specialties. Daily lunch and dinner specials feature local ingredients whenever possible. The Kobe beef burger can be paired with hand cut French fries, crispy thin onion rings, homemade lemon-pepper potato chip or potato salad. There is an outdoor patio under a canopy of oak trees that's shady and extremely popular with locals and visitors to San Antonio. The brunch offered on Sundays features a menu of classic egg dishes, fire-roasted prime rib, Texas pot roast, jumbo lump crab cake, and top entree salads, chicken and seafood dishes. Cappy's has an ever-changing, dynamic and well-priced wine list, with great choices by the glass or bottle. Full bar.
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Everything was excellent especially the service. Marcus has a very good knowledge of the menu and made great suggestions. My meal was perfect, highly recommended!

2  Thank schelosk

Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband went once with a group of friends and he was dying to take me there for a nice dinner one night. What a gem! It's easy to accidentally drive by Cappy's because it's kind of tucked away behind some other stores. Don't pass this restaurant up! They have a small but wonderful selection of dinner items, to include chicken, steak/beef, lamb, and seafood. I had the Mustang Chicken and it was AMAZING! It was flattened chicken with a horseradish crust with a dijon cream served with garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. Highly recommend the Mustang Chicken! My husband had a steak and he absolutely loved it. The servers were very nice and attentive. The inside of the restaurant was elegant, but not to the point where you had to wear a suit. We both wore jeans and nice shirts and were appropriately dressed. If you go on the Cappy's website, you can take a look at the inside of the restaurant...it's very nice! I can't wait to go back the next time I am in San Antonio!

2  Thank LimaFoxtrot
Reviewed July 6, 2011

First the good stuff. I've been visiting Cappy's for quite a while now. Mainly for brunch. I haven't had everything they serve but everything I've had has been fresh and tasty. They don't open until 10:30AM so I tend to recommend eating inside in the summer and outside during spring and fall and most of "winter." I always start with coffee or a mimosa. The coffee is especially good for San Antonio. Much better than the vast majority of other restaurants in town. Then come the miniature biscuits and muffins and strawberry butter. Absolutely stupendous. You could make an incredible meal out of these alone. I typically choose the Eggs Commodore but it's hard to go wrong with any selection. Not everyone will enjoy Cappy's as much as I do, naturally, but I'm hard pressed to think of another local restaurant I'd recommend over them.

And now for the less positive stuff. There's not really anything truly "bad" about Cappy's but there are a few things that aren't so great. First of all, I'd replace the plastic chairs outside with cloth and wood or something else that's more reflective of a quality experience. I would also be less fickle with the biscuits and muffins. Offer them without asking and include enough so that more than one person can try a given variety. Cappy's isn't particularly expensive for Alamo Heights but it's definitely more expensive and snobbier than most San Antonio restaurants. The staff are generally pleasant and professional but can sometimes be a little cold if you're new or a little too friendly if you're a regular.

All-in-all I'd say the good aspects far outweigh all other considerations. If you want a more casual experience with lower prices you can visit Cappyccino's next door. It's managed and staffed by the same folks as Cappy's and is open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. I'm getting hungry right now just thinking about these two restaurants. They may not be quite up to the level of what you can find in the top culinary cities of the world, but they're great for San Antonio. Enjoy!

1  Thank daxomni
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We started with Mimosas. Very good!
I had the Oscar. Truffled Scrambled Eggs with Lump Crab Meat and a Lobster Tail in a butter champagne sauce. Heaven!
My fiance had the Sunday Breakfast. Tenderloin, Scrambled Eggs, Hash Browned Potatoes, Pancakes and Fruit. She really enjoyed it!
The service was impeccable and price was well worth every bite.
I will try this place for dinner some night soon.

2  Thank OfficerandGentleman
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had dinner on Friday 6/10/2011. The next night we were supposed to go to Biga which is supposedly the best restaurant in town. We cancelled Biga and went back to Cappy's on Saturday. They have grilled Oysters to die for. Their special appetizer of goat Mousse with beet chips was so good my wife had it once more on Saturday. I had the Pork, it was great and my wife had the Lamb, it was outstanding. For dessert which we usually skip they comped us Bread Pudding with whiskey souce. It's unbelievable.

2  Thank tomsimon