“What's going on?”

Ranked #665 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Earl Abel's has been serving the San Antonio dining community for over 81 years and is recognized for its home style comfort foods made fresh daily. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Earl Abel's is famous for its "Simply Delicious" fried chicken and its award winning desserts, including pies, cakes, eclairs and creme puffs. Recently, the restaurant has added many healthy menu items such as Bison Burgers, Chicken Fried Bison, Kobe Burgers, Spinach Salad with strawberries and homemade raspberry vinaigrette dressing, Greek Salad with peppers, olives & feta cheese, sweet potato fries, and sugar free desserts. Earl Abel's truly has something for everyone. We serve soups, salads, burgers made with freshly ground in-house USDA Chuck Steak, sandwiches, Niman Ranch "all natural" steaks, seafood, Mexican food, and daily specials served seven days a week. The restaurant is also known for its outstanding breakfast including its famous "Thins" pancakes, chicken and waffles, three egg omelets, pork sausage made in-house, and fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice. For beverages, Earl Abel's serves Cain's coffee, Cain's iced tea & sweet Tea, and an organic coffee blend from Chiapas & Guatemala and roasted by a local San Antonio roaster, Ferra Coffee Company. We also serve locally brewed Busted Sandal IPA and Alamo Ale, along with other Texas beers and imports.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

On Sunday, we ate lunch at Earl Abel's. We have gone many times in the past. We waited over thirty minutes to get our food, the waitress said the kitchen had los our order. She brought their famous rolls before our food because she knew we had been waiting quite a while and we noticed other people had been served who had come in after us .I noticed a funny smell coming from the rolls, but didn't say anything to my husband or sister-in-law. When my husband tasted his he said the roll tasted bad. My sister-in-law said they didn't look like they had been made the same way. We think that whatever they put on the top of the rolls, butter or something like that, was possibly rancid. They are usually one of the best things at the restaurant! We mentioned this to the waitress, and she said she would tell someone. When my husband went to pay, he mentioned the order being lost and the rolls being bad. He told the owner that he didn't want anything for what happed, he just wanted to let him know about the problems we had encountered. My husband's impression was that the owner didn't believe him. This is why I am writing this review.

2  Thank Ursula94

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My family wanted to go to the Pioneer House on Guenther street but quite honestly I feel the atmosphere is hectic, cold and the prices high and food barely adequate. I suggested Earl Abel's. I ate at the old location many years back but I find the new restaurant warm, clean, friendly and comfortable. The prices and menu items out shines Jims and Denny's. I loved it and the mushroom omelet was wonderful. Strong coffee a added bonus. I plan to return soon and often. Easy to get to and plenty of parking. I went on a Sunday morning and it wasn't too crowded to get in or take a table right away.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We went to lunch during a late afternoon, so there was no crowd whatsoever. The "service" was indifferent, at best, whenever we did get any, our service was SLOW. The food was cold, we had to send it back. The only thing good was the bread. I will never waste my time or money on this place again. There's a What-A-Burger within spitting distance, (and if you eat here, you will indeed want to spit,) that at least serves hot, decent food, quickly. We regretted simply not going there.

3  Thank Ricky C
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This local does not take out-of-towners to this place.

I admit to only having eaten at Earl Abel's on Austin HWY once, so some of this review is based on my husband's continued visits and subsequent complaints of eating there alone in 2013 (since I refused to go after my first visit in 2009). This place used to be on Broadway, then was moved to Austin HWY sometime after we moved to San Antonio in 2004. The local news ran many stories about how sad it was that this place was closing, with locals saying how great it was. Well, after eating at this place once, I have to say it should have been closed. My husband ordered a vegetarian omelette during his visits in 2013 and it came with ham, not on one occasion, but twice! The restaurant's atmosphere echoes of an old hotel diner or casino; limited windows and soggy-mildew looking carpet; it reminds me of the Circus-Circus in Vegas. Diner's featured in Tarantino films have better decor than this place. Maybe it was good before the move from Broadway, we don't know.

Overall, I would rate this place as having food on par with or worse than Jim's (a San Antonio restaurant chain), but less cheerful atmosphere.

1  Thank Vick31
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Earl Abel’s was my father’s favorite restaurant - he and my mother ate there many times, and especially loved their pies! We held our fathers post-funeral luncheon at Earl Abel’s as a remembrance of all the good times he had there. We were not sure how many people might attend, so we arranged for about 35 in the banquet room. We arrived as some of the guests were arriving, and it quickly was evident that we would need more seats. Annette and her team were very quick to add more tables and settings, and assured us not to worry, they would take care of it, and they did! Additionally, she called me that morning and suggested we use a limited menu to make the ordering go more smoothly and also to hold down our costs. The food was quickly served, and the main plates tasted good and were served hot (to 48 people!). Many of the guests had not been to the restaurant before (some were from other locations) and all had only complimentary things to say about the lunch (ok, maybe there should have been more coconut pie, it was delicious!). Our family truly appreciates the expert advice and wonderful service provided to our group.