“What happened?”

Ranked #646 of 4,736 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Earl Abel's has been serving the San Antonio dining community for over 81 years and is recognized for its home style comfort foods made fresh daily. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Earl Abel's is famous for its "Simply Delicious" fried chicken and its award winning desserts, including pies, cakes, eclairs and creme puffs. Recently, the restaurant has added many healthy menu items such as Bison Burgers, Chicken Fried Bison, Kobe Burgers, Spinach Salad with strawberries and homemade raspberry vinaigrette dressing, Greek Salad with peppers, olives & feta cheese, sweet potato fries, and sugar free desserts. Earl Abel's truly has something for everyone. We serve soups, salads, burgers made with freshly ground in-house USDA Chuck Steak, sandwiches, Niman Ranch "all natural" steaks, seafood, Mexican food, and daily specials served seven days a week. The restaurant is also known for its outstanding breakfast including its famous "Thins" pancakes, chicken and waffles, three egg omelets, pork sausage made in-house, and fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice. For beverages, Earl Abel's serves Cain's coffee, Cain's iced tea & sweet Tea, and an organic coffee blend from Chiapas & Guatemala and roasted by a local San Antonio roaster, Ferra Coffee Company. We also serve locally brewed Busted Sandal IPA and Alamo Ale, along with other Texas beers and imports.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went for lunch today. Had not been to new location. Fond memories of the old location. Very Busy. Service good but took at least 30 minutes for food to arrive. Ugh. What happened to the chicken. It was tough, dry!!! ??? Friend had breakfast. Eggs cooked wrong, hash browns HARD, and the sausage pattie was GAG. I tried it myself and spit if out. So sad. We were so expecting something still like the old place.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We discovered this wonderful place when we came for business a couple of years ago. Whenever we come to town, we always try to dine here. Wonderful food at great prices! Today, I had some of the very best fried chicken I have ever had in a restaurant! Homemade mashed potatoes and gravy and flavorful green beans! Homemade pies and cake always compliment the meal at the end of the meal! Too many choices....not enough time!! We shall return!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went there with a group recently for lunch. I remembered going just once to the old location and thought it was pretty good. We were one of two large groups that day and there was only one waitress serving both groups, which were in two different rooms so needless to say service was at a snail's pace. I ordered the fried chicken, a wing and a breast. When the meal finally came you literally could not tell which was the wing and which the breast. There was SO much breading on this chicken. I would rate the quality as somewhere around KFC chicken. I have nothing against KFC chicken, when that is what I want, but I had hoped for better quality in this venerable institution. Mashed potatoes were probably instant, I really couldn't tell, but they were nothing special. However, I had caught a glimpse of one of their home made eclairs and decided I would take half my lunch home and get one. Oh. My. God. It was the most amazing eclair I have ever had in my life, and that is no exaggeration. That truly made up for the mediocre food that came before it. The bad thing is, that I understand they are not always available and when they run out, they run out and that it is it until the next week when they make them again. I would go again, but I wouldn't get the fried chicken. In fact, I might just get the eclain!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The previous location featured flavor-impaired dining in a rich, historic Art Deco landmark on Broadway at Hildebrand. Since they demolished the landmark for a multi-story lifeless condo and moved into a re-furbished strip shopping center, you can now have ordinary food inside of an ordinary setting. A perfect place to go if you don't want to impress anyone.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were glad to see Earl Able's opening again in the new location. The food was great and the service is always great.