“Old School, Still Impresses”

Earl Abel's Restaurant
Ranked #601 of 4,882 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Earl Abel's has been serving the San Antonio dining community for over 85 years and is recognized for its home style comfort foods made fresh daily. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, and for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Earl Abel's is famous for its "Simply Delicious" fried chicken and its award winning desserts, including pies, cakes, eclairs and creme puffs. We serve soups, salads, burgers made with freshly ground in-house USDA Chuck Steak, sandwiches, and daily specials served seven days a week. The restaurant is also known for its outstanding weekend brunch, including its famous "Thins" pancakes and chicken and waffles, For beverages, Earl Abel's serves a locally roasted organic coffee and iced tea. We also serve locally brewed Weathered Souls IPA and Dale Shine Mexican Lager, along with other Texas beers and imports. Earl Abel's also has a full bar, serving classic cocktails and spirits.
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A San Antonio institution for delicious Texas style comfort food for more than half a century,
Earl Abel's had to relocate for a Red McCombs condo project.
We found them on Austin Highway.
This is an oldy but goody just like the 50s rock and roll music they play.
On a weekday for lunch we arrived early and watch the place fill up.
My BW ordered the Turkey Turnover, and I had the Philly cheesesteak.
We started off with a bowl of Navy Bean soup the daily choice. The soup was packed with Navy Beans and was tasty.
Our server reminded me of the ladies who worked for Earl Able back in the day. She was friendly and efficient.
The Turkey Turnover was an inverted pot pie, it was covered with gravy and tasted yummy.
It had chunks of turkey, carrots, peas, and potatoes swimming in gravy with a flaky crust.

My Philly Cheesesteak was huge and looked like it would intimidate those from Manayunk Avenue
in South Philly. It tasted delicious, and it was bursting with red and green peppers, onions, and cheese.
I ordered a side of hand battered onion rings to go with my side of great fries.
I found out that Earl Abel's still bakes their own pies and cakes. The maple pecan and lemon chess
pies are house favorites.
Earl Abel's, a glimpse of the glory days and still alive in Alamo Heights.

1  Thank bobemac

Reviewed August 16, 2012

A very retro, 50's style diner. They make the most wonderful fried chicken I have ever had and great bread. Their pies are also wonderful. I don't come here much for the other food and I don't like how much they vary their specials and what not however just the fried chicken to go and wonderfully pleasant employees is enough for me to give this place 5 stars.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I were excited to eat at the new location. We hadn't been to San Antonio in years. Unfortunately, we did not get a chance. We were seated promptly, the restaurant was not busy, but then sat at our table for over 10 minutes without no one approaching our table to take our order. We weren't even served water. In fact, a waitress even took the time to refill the sugars at an empty table next to us. We finally walked out extremely disappointed. We passed the manager on our way out and told him why we were leaving and received little response.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We went out on a limb today, and decided to try a new place. Looked and sounded interesting in a travel magazine, so we went to try it. Sure glad we did!!! It was incredibly good, and we have found a new place to "have to go eat there" when we come to town. Best fried chicken we have had in awhile! The petitte entrees are just enough to satisfy an appetite.... GOOD rolls...good desserts.....Great atmosphere...what else can I say! Can't wait to go back and try the breakfast!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had a nice lunch here. The food is what one would expect. This place is a San Antonio tradition, and it is. Ice to see its return.