“My cousin will forgetta La Fogata”

La Fogata Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #82 of 4,648 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Founded in 1978, we have been fire-roasting our famous salsa and mixing our legendary margaritas for 35 years, serving an average of 450 guests daily—that’s right, 6,000 (or more) happy diners enjoy the restaurant each week. That’s an amazing feat for a San Antonio Mexican restaurant that started as little more than a taco stand in a former neighborhood Dairy Queen. Our staff is dedicated to your fun! The La Fogata team includes staff members who have been on the serving line since 1978. The same cook has been creating the restaurant’s award-winning salsa for 24 years. In an industry known for its high turnover, even the wait staff includes long-time La Fogata veterans, so Dwight is surrounded by a dedicated team who knows the business and shares his passion for the restaurant.
Helotes, Texas
“My cousin will forgetta La Fogata”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I took my cousin to one of my favorite eating places, La Fogata. She will never return there to eat and left town with bad feelings about our local cuisine. Her dinner choice was Chicken Fajitas, a dish that is known all around the US as sizzling chicken served with tortillas. When the chicken fajita was served it was cold and it looked like it came from a frozen food package with grill marks stamped on it. We told the waiter the chicken was cold and he took it back to the kitchen. When the dish was returned all items on the dish were now warm (not sizzling) even the avocado. It appeared that the dish was placed in the microwave because the chicken did not have any indication of being place back on a grill, zero, zip, nada. The manager said the chicken was only grilled and dish was perhaps near the grill(???). The dish was refused and not charged for but the dessert she ordered via the manager was charged for. I think I will have to find another favorite place to get my Mexican Food fix. Service was mediocre-had to ask for tortillas for the fajitas. The waiter avoided us after we completed about the cold chicken fajitas.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank anniedosamiga

• Polish first
“Amazing!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere is the only reason we decided to stay for the 25-30 min wait; we were able to grab a bench in the courtyard & a margarita while we waited, and the time flew by. The service was excellent, the food was good; overall, far better than any chain restaurant I've ever experienced. We will be making this a must-do anytime we are in San Antonio.

Austin, TX
“Used to be better”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

First visit to LF in years, and sadly it wasn't the best. The enchiladas compesinas (sp?) which I've gotten for years were a shadow of their former deliciousness. Husb was happy with his tacos pastor, and the salsa is still great. But a lackluster lunch, all in all, and the waiter pulled the old "I thought you ordered topshelf" and overcharged me for a house margarita. Probably will find a new go-to Mexican place when in SA.

Visited February 2014
Oregonia, Ohio
“Local Institution”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had the chicken and beef fajitas...steak was super tender... great service and atmosphere. Tres Leche Cake for dessert was worth ordering...flan was okay

• Visited February 2014
Garden Ridge, Texas
“Best Mexican”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've eaten at La Fogata many times and it has always been a good experience. The restaurant has the appearance of an old San Antonio house complete with large wooden doors that open into a court yard with tables and a 'fogata' which is a fire pit. You have your choice of eating inside or outside under the vine covered arbors. The food is excellent and prepared to order using fresh ingredients. Whether sitting in the court yard listening to the Mariachis and enjoying a Margarita or dinning under the stars you will have a great dinning experience. They take reservations for parties of 6 or more. If you are visiting San Antonio and are in a downtown hotel you will need a cab or car for the 20 minute drive to the restaurant. It's always been my experience that the best restaurants are not located in the hotels.

• Visited November 2013