“the BEST Mexican restaurant in SA!”

La Fogata Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #81 of 4,736 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Founded in 1978, we have been fire-roasting our famous salsa and mixing our legendary margaritas for 35 years, serving an average of 450 guests daily—that’s right, 6,000 (or more) happy diners enjoy the restaurant each week. That’s an amazing feat for a San Antonio Mexican restaurant that started as little more than a taco stand in a former neighborhood Dairy Queen. Our staff is dedicated to your fun! The La Fogata team includes staff members who have been on the serving line since 1978. The same cook has been creating the restaurant’s award-winning salsa for 24 years. In an industry known for its high turnover, even the wait staff includes long-time La Fogata veterans, so Dwight is surrounded by a dedicated team who knows the business and shares his passion for the restaurant.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've lived in Texas my whole life and currently live in SA, and this is the best Mexican food I've found yet in SA!! This is REAL Mexican food with authentic dishes you find in Mexico and they use corn tortillas, not flour. Their enchiladas are some of the best I've ever had and so are the homemade margaritas!! They're margaritas are made in house with fresh juice and are VERY good. This place is not to be missed!

Only drawback: As a Texan, I find mariachis annoying, and there can be a long wait when the place gets busy.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Enjoyed a fun evening out here with friends while visiting San Antonio recently. Even though it was raining some, the Mariachis and the bright festive decor kept the feeling and spirits up. Margaritas were absolutely terrific - dinner was yummy. There was a wait to be seated, but food came very quick once we had a table.

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

La Fogata is our favorite Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio. The food and service is consistently superior. Absolutely the best Carne Guisada anywhere.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of my most favorite places to eat delicious Mexican food. They also serve a wonderful margarita. I always look forward to a great dining experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is my favorite mexicant restaurant in San Antonio. I like their salsa so much, it's the brand I buy at the grocery store. They make fantastic margaritas...I prefer the fresca which is fresh (like the name) and not frozen. If you're brave, order a "twin towers" margarita which comes with 2 test tubes of additional alcohol--one tequila and one cointreau. The made-at-your-table guacamole is a must have with a couple of roasted serrano peppers on top. All of the entrees are quite good with a wide variety of choices. The indoor dining is fine and there are party rooms, but the best is to sit on the patio on a beautiful day with a margarita, chips & guac.