“Excellent!”

Ranked #79 of 4,784 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Founded in 1978, we have been fire-roasting our famous salsa and mixing our legendary margaritas for 35 years, serving an average of 450 guests daily—that’s right, 6,000 (or more) happy diners enjoy the restaurant each week. That’s an amazing feat for a San Antonio Mexican restaurant that started as little more than a taco stand in a former neighborhood Dairy Queen. Our staff is dedicated to your fun! The La Fogata team includes staff members who have been on the serving line since 1978. The same cook has been creating the restaurant’s award-winning salsa for 24 years. In an industry known for its high turnover, even the wait staff includes long-time La Fogata veterans, so Dwight is surrounded by a dedicated team who knows the business and shares his passion for the restaurant.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent Food! Staff was great. I loved the courtyard feel outside with the music. authentic mexican feel. Would highly recommend to anyone in San Antonio!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Have been coming to this restaurant for years, it has never disappointed me. The margaritas are to die for, the food is delicious Tex-Mex, and the service is great

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is the first time, may be I was in a exclusive Mexican cuisine in the US. The food was fabulous, and the ambiance was just perfect. The live band was quiet entertaining, but the band keep moving to tables, and it moves just when it catches up the momentum :) Overall it was a great experience. Would sure recommend.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I lived in SA in the 1990's and return to this lovely city whenever I am able. La Fogata was one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in the area. We had reservations on the Saturday prior to Easter and were seated on the patio immediately upon our arrival. I recommend the queso flameado as an appetizer. It consists of chorizo sausage and oaxaca cheese, set aflame prior to serving. This melted heaven is served with flour tortillas and is a terrific way to begin your meal. One of our group members ordered Tampiqueña and Shrimp Combo, another person ordered Un poquito de Todo, the other Arrachera a la Mexicana. All dinners were served in a timely manner, cooked correctly, and provided more than ample food for dinner. Our desserts included Dulce de Leche, Empanadas, and Churros. All absolutely delicious...as usual.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband has fond memories of this restaurant from years ago so we stopped here for a late lunch. The atmosphere is pleasant and we sat outside, which was also nice. The waiters are kept pretty busy, but they did a good job getting our order to us correctly, etc. We weren't in a hurry, which was a good thing.

Please note - I selected $$$ for the cost per person. Even though it's not "more formal dining", the price is not that of $$ - we paid over $45. for lunch - for one appetizer, two entrees and one soda.

I get the idea that this is a favorite spot for margarita lovers, of which we are not.

The food was good, but not outstanding. So if you're going for the food, I would suggest trying someplace else. I wish we had.

We ordered ceviche and it wasn't that good. They said there was shrimp in it, but we couldn't find any. We've had much better ceviche elsewhere.

I ordered the quesadillas nortena plate which says it comes with tender fajita meat. The flavor of the meat was really good, but the meat was pretty chewy and had some hard parts which were inedible. My husband ordered the soft rolled tacos with beef, which was pretty blase'. Oh well. That just means we get to go somewhere else next time!

Been to La Fogata Mexican Cuisine? Share your experiences!