“Please let me live in a sea of their MOLE sauce.”

La Fogata Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #76 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Founded in 1978, we have been fire-roasting our famous salsa and mixing our legendary margaritas for 35 years, serving an average of 450 guests daily—that’s right, 6,000 (or more) happy diners enjoy the restaurant each week. That’s an amazing feat for a San Antonio Mexican restaurant that started as little more than a taco stand in a former neighborhood Dairy Queen. Our staff is dedicated to your fun! The La Fogata team includes staff members who have been on the serving line since 1978. The same cook has been creating the restaurant’s award-winning salsa for 24 years. In an industry known for its high turnover, even the wait staff includes long-time La Fogata veterans, so Dwight is surrounded by a dedicated team who knows the business and shares his passion for the restaurant.
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Every time I make a trip to San Antonio, La Fogata is a must. Margaritas are always top notch and I cannot get enough of their mole. You see, I don't like mole, I never eat mole, but at La Fogata my family teases me mercilessly because I won't order anything else. I grew up in San Antonio and hands down this is my favorite Mexican food spot. Just too bad they only have one location. Everything is so fresh and authentic. And the kids love tossing pennies into the fountain to make a wish!

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Really good Mexican food. Long wait on a Friday night for a large party. Great margaritas but a bit on the expensive side. I did t like the chips or the salsa. The chips seemed store bought rather than freshly made. The salsa was very bland. The ceviche was different from what I'm used to but very good, and the entrees were large and well prepared. I would go here again but maybe on a non weekend when it's not so crowded.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The first thing you notice when you walk in is the atmosphere. You walk through the gateway into a walled patio garden with a fountain and a fire in a fire pit (“fogata” means “bonfire” in Spanish.) The inside of the restaurant is spacious, and feels slightly less casual than the patio. Prices here are a little higher than some other places I’ve been to in the area with a similar cuisine, but the atmosphere is nicer. Mariachis sometimes stroll through the restaurant. On our most recent visit, the mariachis were terrible, and I was tempted to get out my earplugs that I keep with me when traveling. They might have been ok for tourists that aren’t all that familiar with the music and just want the ambiance, but these guys were really bad. It can get noisy there even without the mariachis when the restaurant is busy.

I’d been told that service here can be poor, but I’ve always had excellent service. The waiters we’ve had have always been reserved and non-intrusive. They don’t make small-talk or try to entertain you, and I appreciate that. They quietly serve your food and let you focus your attention on the people you’re with.

The restaurant’s signature roasted pepper salsa is not very hot, but has a good smoky flavor. The mole poblano here is excellent, and this is one of the first places that come to my mind when I think of getting mole while in San Antonio. It has a rich flavor with just the right amount of heat. The focus in this mole is on savory rather than sweet. There is a wide variety of selections on the menu, but since I’ve always ordered the mole when I’m here, I can’t really comment on the quality of other items except to say that the people I’ve gone with have always liked what they’ve ordered.

There is no children’s menu, so it might get a little pricey if you’re feeding a bunch of little ones. People do bring children, and this would be a place to bring well-behaved children that can act appropriately when dining in a restaurant.

The restaurant is very popular and can get crowded, but we have never had to wait long, even without a reservation. Our most recent visit was on a Saturday night, and they were very busy. We were afraid we might have a long wait, especially after seeing how crowded the restaurant was already, but we were seated right away. Parking has sometimes been difficult, but they have recently added more parking spaces across the street from the restaurant.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Local Mexican restaurant located about 5 miles north of downtown and away from the tourists. This is where the locals go. Nothing fancy. Service was a bit slow to start with. Great frozen margarita for $7.95. Salsa was good but chips just average. Had the cheese enchiladas. Plenty of food. Parking lot did seem small.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was a little confused coming in from the parking lot but once you enter the patio, it's just lovely. The food was good, authentic Mexican. The service was great! We even enjoyed the mariachi band roaming around the restaurant. Would definitely eat here again if I'm in the area.