“Taco Bell would have been better!”

La Fogata Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #89 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Founded in 1978, we have been fire-roasting our famous salsa and mixing our legendary margaritas for 35 years, serving an average of 450 guests daily—that’s right, 6,000 (or more) happy diners enjoy the restaurant each week. That’s an amazing feat for a San Antonio Mexican restaurant that started as little more than a taco stand in a former neighborhood Dairy Queen. Our staff is dedicated to your fun! The La Fogata team includes staff members who have been on the serving line since 1978. The same cook has been creating the restaurant’s award-winning salsa for 24 years. In an industry known for its high turnover, even the wait staff includes long-time La Fogata veterans, so Dwight is surrounded by a dedicated team who knows the business and shares his passion for the restaurant.
McKinney, Texas
“Taco Bell would have been better!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were so excited to try La Fogata on our recent trip to San Antonio. It had been recommended to us by a close friend. Although after we told him are opinions about the restaurant, he did say he recommended it more for the Margaritas and atmosphere than the food. We ordered shrimp nachos for the appetizer. They were so bland, shrimp did not taste fresh and there was way too much cheese on them. Lunch was chicken quesadilla for me and steak tacos for my husband. Since there was no kids menu, my children ate chicken soft tacos. Both of our meals were boring and had no flavor. The chicken quesadilla was exactly the same thing that was served to my children as a chicken soft taco. Food was boring and bland. Not worth the $70 bill we had to pay.

• Visited October 2012

• Polish first
Austin
“Old stand-by still shines brightly”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

One of my long time favorite places, I try to hit it every time I get to San Antonio. My GF and I never got past the appetizers, they are so good. Cebollas Al Carbon and Cocktail De Camarones A La Marinera were fantastic. And the table side prep of the guacamole can't be beat. The margaritas were tasty, we had the one made with fresh lime juice, not the mix. Highly suggested! All in all, this place is true Mexican comfort food and worth a visit. Enjoy!

Conn.
“Fun place; Not crazy about the food”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

One of the old-time Mexican restaurants in SA, a group of us decided this would be a great place for dinner. Overall it was good with great guacamole but there were a few outstanding dishes.

Let’s start with a must have, the guacamole. This dish was prepared at the table and if you order nothing else, you must have the guacamole. The texture maintained large pieces of the avocado, and the flavor was delicious. The serve with a few halved hot peppers (no I did not eat these) and served with a few bowls of chips. The Nachos con Quesa was served with the cheese sauce in a separate bowl, so each guest can grab some tortilla chips, add as much Quesa as desired and then add a little of the salsa that was present.

For my entrée I ordered the steak with a chicken and cheese stuffed poblano pepper. None of these were as good as the guacamole and nachos, served with a side salad with a little avocado dressing and baked beans. The baked beans were fantastic, easily the best part of the dish and one of my Texas colleagues told me the addition of cilantro into the beans created the distinctive San Antonio flavor, and he was correct. I loved the beans. The poblano pepper itself was very good, a nice char on the outside and sweet in flavor. The chicken stuffing was not to my liking in flavor or texture. It was too firm, with the consistency of Thanksgiving stuffing and the flavor was uneventful. The steak was cooked perfectly to medium-rare, but the texture was almost gelatinous and not pleasant. The seasoning was either non-existent or peppery. And after one taste of the avocado dressing, there was no need to finish that part, it was very sour and not enjoyable.

Greenville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best margaritas and mole in town!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Lived in San Antonio for two years and this is the place we took all visitors to. Best margaritas, awesome mole, fabulous table-side guac! And don't forget the queso flameado! It gets very crowded on the weekends, but you can order drinks while you wait and sit around the fountains. Mostly outside seating, so go on a gorgeous San Antonio day. Don't let the neighborhood fool you, this place rocks!

• Visited October 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
“Authentic. Best of the Best in San Antonio!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Four of us visited for the first time today for dinner on advice of a local and it was fantastic! We had quesadilla, enchilada, taco soft shell and the sampler platter. We enjoyed the guac, refried beans and margaritas...all delicious! We ate outside on the garden patio and it was a wonderful atmosphere...definitely worth the visit!

1 Thank Kusscat

Been to La Fogata Mexican Cuisine? Share your experiences!