“Our favorite Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio”

Ernesto's Mexican Specialties
Ranked #168 of 4,669 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
san antonio, tx
“Our favorite Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We live in San Antonio and have been coming to Ernesto's for years. This restaurant is one of our absolute favorites, anywhere. Even when we don't make reservations, Ernesto is always
a gentleman and greets us at the door. He is gracious and charming and is genuinely pleased to see you and serve you. The food is wonderful, as is the staff. We have come here so often that we rarely need a menu ... and the best part is that the waiters know us and remember what we usually order. It is so rare to be treated as long standing and special customers, and we readily admit that we have become spoiled by this outstanding restaurant and its warm owner and his staff. They have live music, played and sung in the sounds of old Mexico, old world and charming, on Friday and Saturday evenings. The only thing that we regret is that we don't come here more often. Now that I have written this, my taste buds are in full swing, and I think we will go to Ernesto's for dinner. I can't wait.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank carolyn s

Conroe, Texas
“Christy & Jerry quiet dinner”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Quite dinner for my wife on our escape weekend to San Antonio. Recommend by hotel staff as an unexpected delight. The Crepe with crab meat,and the fried oyster was outstanding. Also the steak with shrimp main course with the sauce as shown great.

Will return on our next trip.

Great value in custom design meals.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Jerry W
San Antonio, Texas
“What a neat place.”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Ernesto's is not easy to find, but if you do you will be pleasantly surprised. Not only is the food some of the best in San Antonio, but Ernesto is usually there to greet his guest. The service here is outstanding and the atmosphere is wonderful.

3 Thank Phil R
Wolfforth, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chuck And Brenda”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had a wonderful time the atmosaphere was first class,, the sevice was great! the food was excellant,the owner intraduced himself and is so very awesome old time class.a real gentleman.
We took my mother for her birthday and she was saranated by the man singing 2 men she had a great time,, thank you sergio and ernesto you both are great gentleman,we will be back for sure.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Chuck C
Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Great service, good food”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just left Ernesto's. First of all, the location is not so good. Tucked back in the corner of a small shopping center with vacancies around it. But once inside, the atmosphere is better. Quiet and welcoming. Service was outstanding. Small bar but they carry everything. We had margaritas and they were awesome but small. However, they had a happy hour until 7 and they were half price. I did not give them 5 stars because of two things. One, there was no children's menu, but I can see why. Ernesto's is a restaurant for couples or business, not necessarily families. With that said, they completely worked with us on feeding our 4 and 9 yr olds. Our waiter/manager said their menu was very flexible and they would work with us for the kids. Our 9 yr old ordered a cheese enchilada with double rice...done. Our 4 yr old wanted plain cheese nachos...done. He even asked us how many nachos on the plate. AND they barely charged us for their two meals! Two, the rice and beans were just okay, tex-mex. But after seeing the menu and seeing they were more of a seafood restaurant than mexican food, I can see why. My husband had a special, tenderloin with lump crab meat on top and white rice with a special sauce. They specialize in sauces so we had our waiter suprise us. He did a great job! The lump crab was awesome too! I had the Steak San Antonio and I wasn't sold on that plate until the waiter said they offered a 4 oz steak if I didn't want the 8 oz. Perfect choice! Our steaks were so tender that we could use a dull knife to cut them and thats what we used. My husband used his fork! We were worried our children wouldn't be comfortable in a place like this, but they made us feel more than welcome! I will say, though, that the green chile enchilada that came with my steak wasn't superb, but I am not a big green chile fan. They brought out tortilla chips and a green salsa made of tomatillos and jalapenos, my favorite thing of the dinner. The tortilla chips were old style, thick and tasty. I disagree with Trip Advisor on the type of menu for this restaurant. I don't think it's cuisine is strictly mexican, it should be seafood and mexican. If you want a hole in the wall cheap San Antonio mexican place, this is not it (we found this out the hard way but again, I blame Trip Advisor for that). But overall a great little place with great food!

• Visited July 2012