“Pretentious, expensive and thoroughly average”

Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 4,786 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Navarro or Saint Mary's
Transit: Bohanan's is located in the center of downtown San Antonio; walking distance from most downtown hotels and conveniently located to city's public transportation.
Description: Bohanan’s fame is founded on sublimely tender prime beef grilled over fragrant mesquite wood. Enjoy extraordinarily delicious Akaushi beef, Chef/Owner Mark Bohanan’s large custom cuts of prime aged corn-fed beef, succulent seafood flown in fresh daily, and spectacular table-side desserts flambé. Imbibe a classic cocktail at the first-floor Bar at Bohanan’s, then join us upstairs for the best steak you’ve ever eaten. Located in a historic building in downtown San Antonio about a block from the River Walk. AAA Four Diamond rating and Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence.
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The ground floor bar area was dark and lifeless on a weeknight at 7:30 p.m. The hostess, who escorted us to the second floor dining area, was pleasant and the dinning room wait staff seemed knowledgeable and equally pleasant. The upstairs dining room is attractive and was busy, which was a relief after passing through the first floor catacomb of a bar.

The decline started when the business guests were offered a choice of several "specials" consisting of $100 Japanese steaks (14 ounces). It seemed like a real convention tourist-trap move. As a business dinner host, you can't tell the guest what to order - after all, my office did the inviting and chose the restaurant. The steak was merely average - despite the price tag, the Caesar salads were well below average and the Red Snapper, when ordered with the thick and gravy-like mushroom sauce on the side, was revealed to be incredibly salty and dry.

The busboy continuously reached across the plate and face of the business guest with a dripping pitcher to fill the glass. With two drinks per person, and without ordering a bottle of wine or the tip, the dinner tab ran an average of $100/person.

The restaurant was mailing it in, presumably relying on its no repeat convention business and highly promoted name. This tired old place will not be on my list again.

1  Thank AntonRaphaelMengs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed October 27, 2010

The restaurant was very busy and the service lacked as a result. The waiter was friendly, just slammed. The food was quite good and they have a very good wine selection. My wife ordered a drink with Pappy Van Winkle bourbon which was on the bar list. A few moments later, the waiter came back with the news that they did not have it. Not good! I ordered a desert and got the check instead. It was very loud and I guess he did not hear my order. The real surprise came when I got the bill. I was billed for the Pappy Van Winkle drink, billed for 2 bottles of wine and we only had one. The mistakes were quickly rectified but for the price one pays here, this kind of non-sense should never occur. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Reviewed October 23, 2010

What a treat to eat at this restaurant. Our waiter, Moe was fabulous and really made the evening enjoyable. The food, from the fabulous house salad, to the filet, squash casserole and yummy portabello mushrooms, to the homemade sorbet, this was the best meal that I have ever eaten. The prices are more than what you would normally spend, but so was the service and taste. You definitely get what you pay for.

Reviewed October 20, 2010

We had a wonderful dinner, but we forgot our parkas. It was freezing! The maitre d' excused the temperature saying most men wore jackets. That's fine, but what about the ladies who want to show off their latest sleeveless cocktail dress? Unfortunately, that is about all I remember of the meal.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Ate here on October 6th and had the best steak (ribeye) of my life. It's definitely pricey but both of our steaks were melt in your mouth, our salads were great as well. Definitely try the au gratin potatoes as a side. Good atmosphere. Our waiter claimed they were the #2 steakhouse in America right now. I believe it!

The women's bathroom had real rose petals in the sink. The only downfall about our visit was the loud talker at the big table next to us (obviously a work dinner) but that was not the restaurants fault.

1  Thank jjg39069