“Dusty Disappointment”

Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 4,694 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Navarro or Saint Mary's
Transit: Bohanan's is located in the center of downtown San Antonio; walking distance from most downtown hotels and conveniently located to city's public transportation.
Description: Bohanan’s fame is founded on sublimely tender prime beef grilled over fragrant mesquite wood. Enjoy extraordinarily delicious Akaushi beef, Chef/Owner Mark Bohanan’s large custom cuts of prime aged corn-fed beef, succulent seafood flown in fresh daily, and spectacular table-side desserts flambé. Imbibe a classic cocktail at the first-floor Bar at Bohanan’s, then join us upstairs for the best steak you’ve ever eaten. Located in a historic building in downtown San Antonio about a block from the River Walk. AAA Four Diamond rating and Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence.
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Pros: Food and wine are excellent and prepared beautifully. Sides are ample for two to share. Cons: Attention to detail is lacking. The upstairs ladies' room has VERY dusty artificial plants right at eye level on the sink and stall area. It makes you wonder, "what else is unclean?" At that price point and that ambiance, then there should be fresh cut flowers in the restrooms. Also, it would have been lovely if the hostess had informed me that my requested table was not quite ready before walking across the entire restaurant to seat us somewhere else. In addition, long coats should be checked at the hostess stand and noticed by the hostess by, "may I check your coat?" and not to have the guest request. At the table, my requested lemon wedge should be in cheese cloth, plating was mismatched upon service of melon sorbet that tasted like orange, and bread plates came after the bread. This may seem to be over scrutinized, but I expect the best at fine dining locations. Otherwise, it isn't a fine dining experience. When asked by friends what my favorite fine dining experience in San Antonio is, I sadly will no longer state Bohanan's.

1  Thank Kenwick77
There are newer reviews for Bohanan's Prime Steak and Seafood

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This steakhouse is rated #2 in all of Texas (and Texans know their steak). The food and service were excellent.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

WISH THERE HAD BEEN AN OPTION FOR 2-1/2 STARS...

After spending a good 15 minutes hearing about and looking at all the PRIME STEAK options, we ordered our meal.

Our first course was the Bohanans house salad (recommended by our waiter). This salad had WAY TOO MUCH GOING ON: bib & romaine lettuce, spinach, purple onion, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm & black & green olives, tomatoes, parmesan & house dressing...I think the artichoke hearts, black & green olives and hearts of palm were competing, overwhelming.

MAIN COURSE: I ordered the 24 oz Bone in Ribeye for $79.95, and my first bite of my "hand cut" steak was mostly fat! My steak was NOT TENDER, I was literally sawing into different sections of it hoping I'd find at least one section that was what I'd been sold: "a high quality, tender, tasty, prime grade steak"...but there wasn't one. Really disappointing!! I was even more surprised to find sections of "silver skin" (inedible, tough connective tissue) in the middle of my steak! Good grief!

This experience has turned me off of ordering steaks in restaurants; from this point forward I'll just eat them at home; my husband grills up a mean choice grade Costco Ribeye that's 100 times better the prime steak I received at Bohanan's. I also ordered the Lobster Corn, which was tasty, but for $12.95 they should have put some real lobster chunks in it ~ we didn't see any.

My husband ordered the 14 oz Japanese Ribeye for $95, he said his steak was tasty and enjoyed it, but not enough to order it again at that price. He also ordered the portabello mushrooms (cooked in some sort of port wine reduction) which he said totally overwhelmed the steak, so better to eat them separately if you want to taste your expensive steak.

Our waiter was very knowledgable and really nice, so we never told him that my steak was crap, and because I didn't want to further ruin our evening....besides, my husband would have been done eating by the time they grilled me another one. I do wonder what the waiter thought when he saw that although I'd cut it into many pieces, I hadn't actually eaten much of my
"legendary steak"...maybe the waiter's dog was able to enjoy it!?!

The saving grace of our meal was the MONTALCINO BRUNELLO that my husband chose to compliment our meal, it was excellent!!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Started with escargot, then salads, then steaks. All were fantastic! I had the 10oz Wagyu filet ($100) but wish I had just gotten the prime filet (which my fiancé ordered). The Wagyu was really good, but not $55 better than the prime!! Across the street from the Majestic Theatre, great for a pre-show meal. Bohanan's will valet your car while you dine, and while you're at the theatre!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My experience at Bohanan's on this recent visit was wonderful.

To start, we spent some time at the downstairs bar. This was the source of our only problem that night. I ordered some short ribs as an appetizer, along with an espresso. The espresso came quickly, and, despite having no crema and some grounds in the cup, was nice and flagrant. The short ribs, on the other hand... Let's just say I waited 35 minutes for it, and my father finally lost his patience and asked the maitre d' to just deliver it to us upstairs, then we went up. 10 to 15 minutes later, it finally showed up. It usually takes 20 minutes for it to be served. For the long wait, however, it was very good. Lovely, slightly spicy sauce, and the meat was braised very well. And they did serve it on the house, which is enough forgiveness.

We didn't order upstairs appetizers or soup/salad, instead enjoying the nice warm bread as well as the candied jalapeno/cream cheese hors d'oeuvre which, as I mentioned before, is a signature of Bohanan's. It was also very nice of Chef Bohanan to stop by our table and say hi, too.

I ordered a ribeye with mashed potatoes. Ribeye was cooked to perfection, and nice and tender. The potatoes were very good too.

Finally, the desserts. I am extremely bummed by the fact that they no longer have Crepes Suzette, but it was still fun to watch the maitre d' make bananas foster and strawberries imperial for a table next to us. What I ordered was amaretto cheesecake with sauce, but as a gift, I also got a pear with chocolate disks that have hazelnut/praline nuts on them. The nuts were divine. Cheesecake was very good too.

I love both the upstairs dining room as well as the 20s styled downstairs bar. If I had to pick a favorite of the two, though, I'll dine in the bar. It's the epitome of elegance, and one of the best places in Texas to meet people and have a drink.

It is very fun to come to Bohanan's, and is my gold standard for elite steakhouses. I love this place.

3  Thank jameygamer