“Not on the Riverwalk, but tasty and decently priced”

Zinc Bistro and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Zinc Bistro and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Commerce
Description: Our chefs have painstakingly created a menu of wine-friendly fare consisting of old world hors d'oeuvres and regionally inspired tapas. From baked Texas goat cheese with kalamata olives to fresh chocolate covered strawberries, the menu caters to the diversity of the food enthusiasts. Charles Court, at the rear of Zinc, is a truly serene gathering place for a rare outdoor experience. The private, spacious courtyard makes for a quiet sanctuary from the clatter of downtown city streets and the Riverwalk.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We tried to get into Boudro's, but with a two-hour wait, we were encouraged to go to Zinc, their sister restaurant. While not on the Riverwalk, it was a short walk away.

We ordered the tableside guacamole, which was good, but perhaps not the best I've ever had. I had the steak and frites, which was a good size and tasted delicious. I also thought it was reasonably priced at $22. I also had a mojito to go with it -- very nicely done.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We knew we liked this restaurant from the moment we walked in the door. It just had that joyful feel to it. We went there for dinner on a Friday night. We had a 7pm reservation and that was early for a Friday night. We left around 8:30 or so and the place was lively including many of the young professional crowd enjoying drinks in the bar.

They have a great selection of wine by the glass or bottle with very reasonable prices for both. We decided to start with a martini and order a glass of wine with our entree. The martinis were nicely garnished and delightful. When it was time for the wine, our server brought out the bottles to pour at the table. That is a nice touch. It puts you more in touch with your wine selection.

Okay, we have had guacamole at every restaurant that we have eaten dinner at in SA on this trip. Their guacamole was the best! Made right at your table it included onion, avocado, tomatoes and juice from an orange cut right in front of you. The orange was a nice touch!

The entrees were quite pleasing as well. I recommend the steak with frittes. It was nicely seasoned and came with a wonderful sauce. You will find that the serving size is moderate compared to what we are used to in U.S. restaurants. However, entrees are flavorful and filling without leaving you with that disgusting stuffed feeling that you get at many restaurants. And, you should check out the menu and prices online. You will be surprised how reasonable the prices are at Zinc.

They offer a nice desert selection and we opted for the apple bread pudding and the creme brûlée. The creme brûlée was very good. The apple bread pudding was amazing!!! If you are not inclined toward bread pudding, this will change your mind. I should add...no raisins! I hate it when they ruin bread pudding with raisins. The apple, caramel, and ice cream made this a very special treat.

The service was excellent as well. How much did we like this restaurant? We made reservations for the next night before we left! Try it and enjoy!

P.S. Our hotel was on the Riverwalk. This restaurant is not on the Riverwalk but was only about a block from the Riverwalk.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Went with a girlfriend a few nights ago for some wine and snacks. We sat on the patio, which was nice and had a couple glasses of wine and the antipasto plate. The server was very attentive and knowledgeable about the wine selection. Nice location for a date.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A friendly and welconing staff. Order the Avocado App. The burger is fantastic. I would go several times to try the variety of food!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Found this place by recommendation for a bartender at another bar. She said, "it is the best bar food going...I love the cheeseburger." Well I agree, but it's more! Great menu, really helpful enjoyable staff. The food menu is really eclectic, the wine, beer selection is very good and the 10 Cane Mojito is yummy. Let the staff recommend some parings...you won't be disappointed. I really enjoyed the place. I took my coworkers and some of my customers there several times during my stay in San Antonio...every one of them really enjoyed Zinc's. Enjoy, the Zinc staff makes it easy!