“Great Breakfast”

Schilo's Delicatessen
Ranked #33 of 4,602 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Wallkill, NY
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast at Schilo's Delicatessen. The pancakes and potato pancakes were quite tasty. I like my eggs fried over medium which seems difficult to some cooks. Not here...my eggs were cooked to perfection. In addition, you can't beat the price.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tionesta, Pennsylvania
“cute place with character and good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

The food was good (I had the Rueben and German Potato salad). Don't miss having the root beer ~ it was delicious!

Temple, Texas
“Not their best...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have eaten at Schilo's many times and usually I have good experiences, but this time was NOT. I am disappointed to have to share this with you, dear traveller.
I visited Schilo's with my mother, husband, and baby. The three of them arrived before I did and got a table, and I was very surprised when I arrived to find the front door to the restaurant locked. (The time was 8:22pm, and they close at 8:30. Also, can you say "fire hazard?") The employees ignored me when I knocked to be let in. I had to call my mom's cell phone to tell her I was locked out before the door was opened for me.
Our waitress was not pleasant and her overall service was poor. We'd ordered a sandwich and asked for the side of soup to be added, so she brought out a bowl of soup. When we said we just asked for the cup of soup, she argued with us and said, "you told me a bowl," and did not offer to switch them or take it back or anything. She did not refill our drinks. After we'd asked for a refill of rootbeer (which is amazing, I think they make their own), the manager asked her if she needed more rootbeer, then she looked right at us, then looked back at him and said no. We did get one refill but not another because they'd already "put it up for the night."
After this it took forever for us to get our check, then forever for the waitress to pick up my card, then forever for her to bring it back.
The food tasted good, but I don't think getting good food is worth the hassle of dealing with being locked out, rude waitstaff, and non-existent customer service.

Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
“Not really authentic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We popped in here for breakfast one morning and were not blown away by any means. The prices were considerably lower than other joints in downtown San Antonio, and when we got our meals we saw and tasted why: Skimpy portions and the bratwurst tasted like it came from a local supermarket. Service was weak (except for the I-don't-want-to-be-here attitude, that part was strong) to almost non-existent. Had to flag down the waitress for coffee refills because she never checked on us.
This place has a cool "old -been-here-a-while" feel and decor, but that's only good for one visit. And I'll be the first to admit that maybe we hit them on a bad day - especially judging from the other comments posted here. But my Grandparents were from the old country so I know what real German food is. I'd be willing to give them a second chance the next time I come to San Antonio. It's not that easy to find das Frühstück Deutsche gute in South Texas.

1 Thank Boykid
Houston, TX
“Schilo's Does Not Disappoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Great food, great service and great prices!!!! We always visit this restaurant when we are in San Antonio. The Split Pea Soup is the best I've ever had.

Visited February 2014