“German food on the San Antonio river walk”

Schilo's Delicatessen
Ranked #32 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Delicatessen, German
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Texas
“German food on the San Antonio river walk”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The food is actually not bad. I've been to Germany so I can easily compare. However you get one side with your entrée. So I ordered Jaeger Schnitzel (mushroom gravy) I was told one of my two sides was the mushroom gravy. ??? Nevertheless, it was a good experience and nice atmosphere. My wife enjoyed the Polish Neighbor and she enjoyed.
**Closed on Sundays.

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Best root beer in San Antonio”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Schilo's was recommended by Tourist Information in Alamo Plaza. It is near the Riverwalk. We ate our breakfast here five mornings out of the seven we stayed in San Antonio and the food was consistently good apart from being on the cool side. We suggest you ask them to ensure the plates are heated otherwise you will not be able to linger over your breakfast.
Breakfast reasonably priced. Coffee $1.90 with free refills. Fantastic root beer $2.00 with one free refill. However, the quality of the root beer can vary, something to do with making it carbonated. I chose the oatmeal and you get much more than you do in McDonalds for $1.98 and it tastes so much better. It tastes like real porridge. It costs $3.90 and comes with raisins, brown sugar and milk. My friends enjoyed the potato pancakes and the country breakfast which came with hash browns (chopped fried potatoes) bacon and egg. The country breakfast was about $6.00. All the prices will have tax added.
The staff are very friendly and gave us information about attractions in and around San Antonio. Ask for Cindi, she is so helpful and friendly.
Don't go on Sunday, Schilo's is closed!

• Visited February 2014
Keizer, Oregon
“We enjoyed both lucnh and breakfast”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for a light lunch on a Saturday, and it was excellent food and service. I wasn't that hungry, so just ordered a green salad....what a salad....everything in it, and delicious. The home made root beer was a big hit.

Breakfast was also excellent on a different day, with excellent food and service again! The German style cooking was a hit.

This Deli has been around since the forties, and it's still going strong. Put it on your restaurant list in San Antonio.

Visited January 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great root beer, value, food and service”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Just walk up the steps from the riverwalk and it's right there! My mom had the root beer and said it was the best. Cindi was our server and she was great. Our whole breakfast with tip was $20. Don't hesitate to eat here. We may even stop for lunch.

Visited January 2014
Tallahassee, Florida
“Less than stellar service”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I can't eat gluten which really limited my options for lunch. I basically ate green beans and coleslaw which isn't their fault. My service was TERRIBLE. I constantly had to flag him down. The restaurant was empty (tops 5 tables of people with two servers), but my server was too busy talking to another employee. I paid in cash and he gave me the wrong change. I have never been here before, but I doubt I would go back based on this experience.

• Visited January 2014