“Recommend La Madeleine, but Broadway location is not the best in chain” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Madeleine French Bakery

La Madeleine French Bakery
Ranked #586 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: French, American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Alamo Heights
Texas
“Recommend La Madeleine, but Broadway location is not the best in chain”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I frequent both the Broadway location (which is right near my home), and also the location at Park North (Loop 410 near North Star Mall). I have gone to both locations for years, and in December ate one time at Park North and one time at Broadway location. Despite having consistently tried the same items at both locations over a period of time, I can honestly say that the Park North location is far superior to Broadway location in overall quality of food. The atmosphere is also better at Park North, even though Broadway received a "face lift" within the last year or so. Overall, as a chain, the prices are fair and the menu offerings are substantial enough that it is a good choice for a small to large group, as everyone should find something to order. I recommend the salad sampler -- choice of three items from a list -- I generally choose their signature tomato basil soup, strawberries romanoff and either the spinach or Caesar salad. I also like the french dip (Broadway location overtoasts the roll and au jus is barely warm) sandwich and the Croque Monsieur sandwich. The chicken la madeleine plate is also good. I do not care for the potato gallette at either location. Desserts and pastries are always good.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Chico, CA
“Food is delicious. Atmosphere mediocre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Great deal on yummy food. Had an amazing shrimp crepe for $10. Seems more like a quick lunch spot since it has so so atmosphere.

Corpus Christi
“great desserts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a chain, so not outstanding. But for a nice lunch, they have a great selection of sandwiches and salads. Their soups are delicious, and you can not pass up their pastries. I especially love their coconut cake.

Visited July 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
“last chance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

A frequent customer of La Madeleine's all over the state, the Broadway location is by far the worst choice. It has gone downhill in the last few years. I was in the area and decided to give it one last chance. I ordered the duet magnifique with chips, vegetarian sandwich, and country potato soup. The sandwhich was seriously lacking in substance, and the potato "soup" was a runny broth. I asked the cashier if the soup should have chunks of potato or some thicker consistency (as I've had this before). The manager came up and said it's always been "chunkless." I said, "Oh, well that's not how I remember it, I guess I'll just power through." Instead of offering to replace it he just smiled and said I was probably remembering incorrectly. For the cost to replace my soup, he lost three customers, my friends and me. I will not be returning to this location.

• Visited May 2012
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Good food, pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

But they have great coffee. The menu did not seem very French, but it was typical of a deli. I think for the price, you should get a little more food.

I think most folks like this place for the atmosphere. It is a bit quaint.

• Visited May 2012