“Greatest Empanadas & Fish Tacos ever!”
Review of Beto's Alt-Mex

Beto's Alt-Mex
Ranked #130 of 4,628 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown Broadway
San Antonio, Texas
“Greatest Empanadas & Fish Tacos ever!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

*BETO’S COMIDA LATINA 8142 Broadway, south of N410 (210-930-9393). Casual atmosphere with wonderful outdoor patio seating. My favorites are the grilled fish tacos with amazing sauce with cabbage slaw. I can’t help myself, I order the fish tacos every time. I am sure the rest of the food is good too. The empanadas, THE EMPANATHA’s!!! are heavenly!! Amazing flaky crusts wrapping around whatever you choose. I have loved the desserts empanathas - I have to get the banana & carmel pecan to go. There are also beef, chicken as well as strawberry rhubarb to pumpkin. They have good Margaritas & mojitos. beer & wine. On some week nights they will have a traditional guitarists strumming. Wonderful casual place!

Visited May 2013

Houston, Texas
“Beto's is good to go!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I will keep this brief……

The chicken poblano empanada is outstanding, as was the quesadilla. The mole is pretty good as well as the el pastor tacos.

Ceviche a little heavy on the acidity (even for ceviche) and it could be a bit larger portion for the price, but still worth it!

The fruit empanadas are also very good……

Downside? The guy at another table popping bubble-wrap.

End game: I will eat here any time that I am in the area…….

• Visited June 2013
Cape May, New Jersey
“Go To Beto's!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went to Beto's 5/31/13 from the SA Airport (it was just a short cab ride away). Oh my gosh, it was the best food we had the entire weekend! Fish tacos, beef & chicken empanadas, guacamole, and one of the dessert empanadas kicked off our vacation. I could have eaten two of the empanadas and skipped the beans and rice. Beto's,please, please come to the East Coast (specifically NJ!)
Reasonable prices, plenty of outdoor seating, friendly service, and AMAZING food made this restaurant wonderful. If you are in the San Antonio area, stop in! We wished we had rented a car so we could have gone back for more!!

• Visited May 2013
Houston, Texas
“Meh. Look elsewhere.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Meh. We came here because our friends recommended this place and they saw it on diners, drive-ins, and dives. We used a yelp check-in deal (which was expired, but they still honored) and started with 2 mini-margaritas and chips and guac. The guac and the margaritas were pretty good. The margaritas were slightly on the too sweet side for me.

We ordered the chicken mole empanada and the grilled fish taco (which they claim is the best in the world). Beto's fries their empanada, which makes the dough flaky and crisp. The outside was really good--flaky and hot, but there was just too much in proportion to the insides. Speaking of the innerds, we thought the chicken was dry and stringy, and the mole was ok, but on the dry, pasty side. The fish taco was a fail also. The taco was drenched in the ranch sauce and the fish was overcooked and rubbery. We suspect both items had been sitting out for a while.

We came around 9:30pm, and the restaurant was pretty dark and hard to tell if it was still open. We also had the waitress turn on one of the ceiling fan lights because otherwise we would have been eating in the dark.

The staff was friendly and helpful even though it was close to closing time. The waitress even went to go ask the manager a question when she didn't know the answer. That alone deserves another star. Next time we're in SA, I suspect there's a better taco place to try out than Beto's.

• Visited May 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Empanadas from heaven”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Don't worry about dressing up: customers ranged from "out on the town" to "just mowed the yard". But once you bite into one of their empanadas, you forget everything else. We had the chicken poblano and the calabacita: fantastic! Don't fill up on the bland rice or so-so beans. Order another empanada for dessert, and count your blessing. We ordered two to take home, and I hear them calling my name. Took pics of the dessert empanadas. We will be back!

• Visited June 2013