“love this place!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown Broadway
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Prices are great and the food is even better! Try the specialty rolls. I recommend the special sara with cream cheese and the sandra roll tempura fried. Miso soup is good too. Sake is very reasonable.

1  Thank Scott D
There are newer reviews for Koi Kawa Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar

Reviewed February 7, 2014

This isn't a review on their food (my family thought it was good, I was fair from impressed but I didn't eat sushi and still wasn't impressed). Personally I like what little fish I eat, cooked, but my youngest son just graduated Air Force Boot camp and wanted Sushi. No problem, we found Koi Kawa on the web, so we went. When I received the ticket, while I was figuring out the tip I noticed they put on own tip on with out my permission. A 18% tip for a party of six. I was outraged!

First of all I really believe in tipping! I'm in the restaurant business and believe if you give good service, you need to tip! In fact when I get poor service, I will still tip away but will tell the waitress/waiter that I shouldn't tip but will tell her/he why and what she/he did wrong, so she/him can learn, because most people won't say a thing. They just won't tip and the waitress/waiter thinks their just cheap and not knowing that it was their service that keep them from getting tipped. (Yes I know that some people are just tight and don't know the sowing and reaping thing. I do).

Why a forced gratuity is wrong? A tipped is earned! If you give poor service than you don't deserve a tip! If you give good service you do deserve one. When a waitress/waiter sees a party of six or more, 99% of them know that their getting a tip and they don't worry about the service they give you. It should be left up to you, the customer wither they deserve to be tipped, not the restaurant!

I want to say that on a scale of 1- 100, 100 being the best, the service was a 75. It was okay but they don't deserve the right to tell me or you what we should tip!!!!! I will also say that I was so involved in trying to find something to eat that I didn't see if they stated it on their menu and if they had I would have brought it to their attention and depending on what their reply was, I would have stayed there or left.

Again, this isn't about their food, it is about forcing me to tip them at the rate they thought they deserved. A lot of restaurants do this but that don;t make it right!

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

It's in a quiet shopping center. The food is amazing. Have tried multiple items and have never been disappointed. Try sushi rolls from the menu handout that is not attached to the regular menu. Everything is super reasonable in price too!

1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had edamame and sushi rolls. The rolls were inexpertly made and so loosely rolled that they fell apart when we picked them up. The ratio of rice to other ingredients was off - the rolls had way too much rice. Two rolls were OK in that the fish tasted fresh enough that I wasn't afraid to eat them, however, they had little flavor. The fish did not taste fresh for the third. The prices are definitely cheap for sushi (maybe that's because there's more rice than anything else), but you get what you pay for. I eat sushi often and love it. I wouldn't return here.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We enjoy Koi Kawa on every visit. We venture out to other sushi restaurants & always come back to koi kawa. The sushi is always fresh & prepared properly.
They have a cucumber salad with this incredible dressing.
The hot saki is great also.
Ambiance is not the best compared to other places, but for a great meal & great service we always find it here.