“great for date night”
Review of Bistro Vatel

Bistro Vatel
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Vatel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #787 of 4,628 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown Broadway
Plano, Texas
“great for date night”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a great place for a date night. The waitstaff are gracious, warm, and attentive while not hurrying you through your meal. The prix fixe meal is a very good option with several choices from which to choose. This is an excellent place to have a quiet relaxing meal.

• Visited June 2013

Rochester, New York
“Great French restaurant in an unremarkable strip mall!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was a little restaurant that we "happened upon", in fact we were not at all sure that it was a restaurant at first. The food was exquisite and our waitress was very helpful when we were trying to make our selections. We had everything from appetizers through dessert, in fact we went back a couple of nights later to try other things. I had the beef tenderloin, almost 2 in. thick and cooked to perfection. One of my sisters had a thick veal steak that she said was great, she didn't offer tastes! One dessert was better than the next. We were not rushed and our food arrived in a very timely fashion. They had an excellent selection of wines and yes the meal was pricey but we felt worth every penny. We were only in San Antonio for a week and time at this restaurant was a culinary delight.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Joanne L
San Antonio, Texas
“A very enjoyable evening”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a reservation at 7 p.m., arrived perhaps a minute or two early and were seated right away. The restaurant is in a small strip center and parking was not a problem on this Saturday evening. The place continued to fill as our meal progressed and they seem to have plenty of business. There is a variety of art on the walls and from my seat I could see into the kitchen, as the service "shelf" opens up into the dining area.

I had the pear and gorgonzola salad to start--delicious. I loved everything about it. I will say the bread seemed a little less than fresh but we are not big bread eaters and don't like to fill up on it anyway. My husband ordered an off-menu special, a steak frites, and I ordered the beef tenderloin with bearnaise sauce. We also ordered a bottle of Merlot. Both plates came with mixed vegetables. My plate came with a potato casserole (I'm sure there's a more elegant name for it). The meat was very good in both cases, though his was a bit better since ribeyes admittedly have more beef flavor than the tenderloin does. We shared the chocolate mousse to end the meal and it was very good, fairly dark and a very rich texture.

Service was good; our needs were met but we were not rushed even when the place was full. I believe we were there about two hours. This is not the place for a cheap meal but it is definitely the place for delicious food.

• Visited March 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“A culinary delight”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Set in Olmos Park, this charming restaurant has a menu that will delight those that love "good" food. We went for Valentine's and chose from their set menu. From the tomato with goat cheese (appetizer), beef tenderloin (main course) and floating island (dessert), the French cuisine was wonderful. Excellent choice of wines. We will go back again.

• Visited February 2013
Helotes, Texas
“French Food Good Enough to Ignore Everything Else”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Fabulous food, snooty service, ridiculous prices for wines--but a lovely evening nonetheless. This is pretty much a "see and be seen" place for the Olmos Park set. That said, I'd gladly swallow my pride and go back again.

Visited May 2012