“Meh.”

Piedras Negras De Noche
Ranked #1,307 of 4,597 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Antonio, Texas
“Meh.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was really excited to try Piedras Negras after reading the reviews. But after eating there last night... it left me wondering what exactly I missed.... or what other reviewers were on. If this is "authentic" Mexican food, then I'm sad to say that I'd rather go with TexMex. I guess Authentic can be taken many ways though. It could be "authentically" plain and average... which it was.

Our waitress was nice though she couldn't hear half of what we said with the live singer there, so we had to repeat our order a few times. The dead and alive flies flying around our table and window were a nice form of entertainment as well.

We ordered the Queso Flameado which I was excited for, the description of it being made table side was pretty fascinating. Yeah...no. So it came, the waitress lit it on fire, I think my eyebrows were singed in the process (it was a huge flame and a VERY small 2 person table). Aside from that, it just didn't TASTE that great. It was thick and greasy and was just plain old cheese and chorizo. I've definitely had better. Much better.

We ordered the fajitas for two. I LOVEEEEEE fajitas. It is my favorite food in the world. I was disappointed with these. It came with alot of meat, which is a plus. But there was just NOTHING to them. No flavor, no... just no anything. The tortillas, while being freshly made, were hard just didn't have that great of a taste to them. Everything just lacked flavor to me, it lacked passion.

On the plus side, the live singer was pretty neat to listen to. But I don't go to restaurants to enjoy the singer, I go to enjoy the food, and THAT was a bust. I was sad to say, that this place will be on our "do not return to" list.

• Visited May 2012

Hillsboro, Texas
“Very good authentic mexican food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

This restaurant had been recommended to me as "authentic". It lived up to it's billing. We visited on a monday lunch. The place was filled with locals, so I knew it was going to be good. My daughter had a lunch special taco plate which she enjoyed. I had caldo de res (beef and vegetable soup). It was delicious and plentiful. Overall we were very happy with our choice.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Larry L
San Antonio, Texas
“Authentic Mexican Food that is excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

If you are looking for authentic Mexican Food that is very tasty than this is the place. The fajitas & enchiladas are so good !!!!! This is a classic place with excellent food at a fair price that you can't go wrong for good food.

2 Thank pruske25
“greasy, unhealthy, and just plain fun on a late night.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

greasy, unhealthy, and just plain fun on a late night.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“San Antonio classic for...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

San Antonio classic for a reason. Good food and a fair price. Recently caught fire, so hours are iffy. Call.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook