“Overall Excellence! ”
Review of La Fonda on Main

La Fonda on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
La Fonda on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 4,671 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Woodlawn
Description: Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.
Pearland, Texas
“Overall Excellence! ”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

First time here. Nice layout and beautiful patio. Servers and hostess very nice and helpful. Love their corn tortilla chips! A thicker chip and delicious. Being my first visit and the fact I love Mexican food, I ordered the La Fonda special so I could get a little variety. Meal comes with a crispy beef taco which was very good, one cheese enchilada which was one of the best I've had. Love the sauce they use on it, a pork tamale that was also one of the best I've had all this rounded off with refried beans and rice both very good. Great food. Great atmosphere. Great service

2 Thank Jonfo1969

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Top Shelf Margarita's”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We met friends there for lunch and enjoyed the margarita very much. The food was OK and the service a little slow. The patio is beautiful but this day was too cool to sit outside. Will definitely go back,

• Visited January 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Beautiful setting, excellent food”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

La Fonda was recommended to us during our visit to San Antonio and I am so glad we took that advice! We went for lunch on a weekday, and unfortunately it was way too hot that day for the patio which seems absolutely gorgeous. The interior of the restaurant is lovely as well, though, and was perfectly air conditioned so all worked out well.

We had a very knowledgeable, attentive waiter who made some great suggestions. The chips and salsa were delicious. My husband and I both ordered tacos, him a duck taco special and me the roasted vegetable and black bean. SO delicious! Honestly, the food was so good that conversation fell silent as we happily cleared our plates.

I would recommend La Fonda to anyone who is lucky enough to be in or visiting San Antonio!

• Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mexican food”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It was very busy, and we had 14 in our party. We saw people come and people go, while we sit there. Finally addressed this with the waiter and he promised it would get better. 30 minutes later, no food. Spoke to Manager and we had our food with 5 minutes. Just a bad waiter.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank tony h
Tucson, Arizona
“My favorite restaurant anywhere !!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

JUST LOVE THIS CHARMING RESTAURANT !!!!!!!
The decor is wonderful with vintage sarapes and Mexican paintings .
The patio with the most beautiful banana tree is a photographers dream !
The food is the BEST !!!!!
I always order Cappys Chicken with beans and avocado !
Nothing compares !
A trip to San Antonio MUST INCLUDE LA FONDA ON MAIN !!!!
I could eat there at lunch and dinner every day !
The owner is an elegant woman who graciously greets each guest .
Actor Tommie Lee Jones was eating here during one of my many visits !

• Visited September 2013